• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Updating an old suit

coachvu

Reaction score
After absorbing everyone's advice for a few weeks, I pulled my old Alan Lebow suit out of the closet. I've had it for several years, and it's served me well as my interview suit. I realize now that the sleeves are a tad long, and the mid-section is way too big. The sleeves would be an easy fix, but can a tailor take in fabric on the back seam, the same way you can with pants? Should I only trust this to a skilled tailor, or is this pretty easy? I can't afford a new suit, but I can't wear this in its current state without thinking how much better it could look.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
After absorbing everyone's advice for a few weeks, I pulled my old Alan Lebow suit out of the closet. I've had it for several years, and it's served me well as my interview suit. I realize now that the sleeves are a tad long, and the mid-section is way too big. The sleeves would be an easy fix, but can a tailor take in fabric on the back seam, the same way you can with pants? Should I only trust this to a skilled tailor, or is this pretty easy? I can't afford a new suit, but I can't wear this in its current state without thinking how much better it could look.

Taking in the waist is no big deal, to a point. Any decent tailor can do it. How much do you need it taken in?

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Taking in the waist is no big deal, to a point. Any decent tailor can do it. How much do you need it taken in?

1.5-2 inches.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
not familiar with this brand. How much is the suit worth? How much with the alterations cost (at somewhere other than the local dry cleaners)?

coachvu

Reaction score
I haven't priced the alterations yet, but the suit was on sale for well over $300 when I bought it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If the suit is still in good shape then the alterations would almost certainly be worth it. You're not talking about doing a lot, really. Lebow, from my little knowledge of them, is a decent enough brand, although I wouldn't pour big money into alterations. But what you suggest won't set you back too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads