Updating an old suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by coachvu, Apr 26, 2006.

1. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

After absorbing everyone's advice for a few weeks, I pulled my old Alan Lebow suit out of the closet. I've had it for several years, and it's served me well as my interview suit. I realize now that the sleeves are a tad long, and the mid-section is way too big. The sleeves would be an easy fix, but can a tailor take in fabric on the back seam, the same way you can with pants? Should I only trust this to a skilled tailor, or is this pretty easy? I can't afford a new suit, but I can't wear this in its current state without thinking how much better it could look.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

After absorbing everyone's advice for a few weeks, I pulled my old Alan Lebow suit out of the closet. I've had it for several years, and it's served me well as my interview suit. I realize now that the sleeves are a tad long, and the mid-section is way too big. The sleeves would be an easy fix, but can a tailor take in fabric on the back seam, the same way you can with pants? Should I only trust this to a skilled tailor, or is this pretty easy? I can't afford a new suit, but I can't wear this in its current state without thinking how much better it could look.

Taking in the waist is no big deal, to a point. Any decent tailor can do it. How much do you need it taken in?

3. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Taking in the waist is no big deal, to a point. Any decent tailor can do it. How much do you need it taken in?

1.5-2 inches.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. Matt

Matt [email protected]

not familiar with this brand. How much is the suit worth? How much with the alterations cost (at somewhere other than the local dry cleaners)?

6. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

I haven't priced the alterations yet, but the suit was on sale for well over $300 when I bought it.

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

If the suit is still in good shape then the alterations would almost certainly be worth it. You're not talking about doing a lot, really. Lebow, from my little knowledge of them, is a decent enough brand, although I wouldn't pour big money into alterations. But what you suggest won't set you back too much.