• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Updated: My recrafted Ferragamo Tramezza Fiorenzo's

jtoddaz

Reaction score
I said I would post some pics of these shoes. I got them off ebay, and the soled were kind of rough. I took them to a local cobbler, and I think he did a great job. Per my request, he was even able to keep the medallion on the sole.

Alas, after wearing them around the house, they are a bit too long for me. These are a 10.5D. I will need a 9.5 D or EE, or 10D. So, here in a couple days when I hit 45 days, I will probably post these.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think your shoes were re-soled.

Looks like he put a new toplift on the heel, and applied a leather patch to the front part of the sole only. And that's the reason the little metal Ferragamo badge was able to be preserved.

jtoddaz

Reaction score
Well I guess I was charged for a partial resole. I am not completely familiar with the process. Does it make a difference if they take the leather off before applying the new sole, and is this common practice?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They probably just did a half-sole, but it's hard to tell from the pics.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine but now looks like a double-sole with the thinner waist (like the EG haf sole). Sort of changes the shoe's look though.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually like the look a lot.. He did a great job whatever he did..

jtoddaz

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, it's not so easy to find a good cobbler out here in AZ. This guy has been in Tempe for like 30 years. I agree that it gives it a little Edward Green look from the bottom.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, interesting. Federico's in Monterey did the same thing with my boots (half-sole), and I also liked the outcome.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nicely done. They look great. Got any "before" pics so we can see the transformation?

jtoddaz

Reaction score
Before:

Sorry, I don't know how to post the pics vs the link.

dopamine

Reaction score
It definitely looks waaaay better now. Do you mind telling us what the price was?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know.

Not to be extra critical, but the half sole is thicker than the original. From the side shot, the sole looks strange. You can clearly see where the half sole beings.

He did an excellent detailed job, but the half sole he used does not match the original. Granted Tramezzas original soles are thin. I would have gone for a full resole. My opinion may change depending on what he charged you.

Snidely Whiplash

Reaction score
I just bought some Fiorenzos and plan to go to a cobbler in Sherman Oaks (Los Angeles) to have a thin rubber layer (Vibram) added to the bottoms (I do this with all my leather-soled shoes to be worn outside). Any opinions on how this changes the look etc. of these or other shoes?

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
I just bought some Fiorenzos and plan to go to a cobbler in Sherman Oaks (Los Angeles) to have a thin rubber layer (Vibram) added to the bottoms (I do this with all my leather-soled shoes to be worn outside). Any opinions on how this changes the look etc. of these or other shoes?

It makes the bottoms look less like leather, and more like rubber. I believe that is all. There may be corresponding changes in texture and grip.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopamine
It definitely looks waaaay better now. Do you mind telling us what the price was?

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads