• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Updated: My recrafted Ferragamo Tramezza Fiorenzo's

jtoddaz

Reaction score
I said I would post some pics of these shoes. I got them off ebay, and the soled were kind of rough. I took them to a local cobbler, and I think he did a great job. Per my request, he was even able to keep the medallion on the sole.

Alas, after wearing them around the house, they are a bit too long for me. These are a 10.5D. I will need a 9.5 D or EE, or 10D. So, here in a couple days when I hit 45 days, I will probably post these.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think your shoes were re-soled.

Looks like he put a new toplift on the heel, and applied a leather patch to the front part of the sole only. And that's the reason the little metal Ferragamo badge was able to be preserved.

jtoddaz

Reaction score
Well I guess I was charged for a partial resole. I am not completely familiar with the process. Does it make a difference if they take the leather off before applying the new sole, and is this common practice?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They probably just did a half-sole, but it's hard to tell from the pics.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine but now looks like a double-sole with the thinner waist (like the EG haf sole). Sort of changes the shoe's look though.

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like the look a lot.. He did a great job whatever he did..

jtoddaz

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, it's not so easy to find a good cobbler out here in AZ. This guy has been in Tempe for like 30 years. I agree that it gives it a little Edward Green look from the bottom.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, interesting. Federico's in Monterey did the same thing with my boots (half-sole), and I also liked the outcome.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nicely done. They look great. Got any "before" pics so we can see the transformation?

jtoddaz

Reaction score
Before:

Sorry, I don't know how to post the pics vs the link.

dopamine

Reaction score
It definitely looks waaaay better now. Do you mind telling us what the price was?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know.

Not to be extra critical, but the half sole is thicker than the original. From the side shot, the sole looks strange. You can clearly see where the half sole beings.

He did an excellent detailed job, but the half sole he used does not match the original. Granted Tramezzas original soles are thin. I would have gone for a full resole. My opinion may change depending on what he charged you.

Snidely Whiplash

Reaction score
I just bought some Fiorenzos and plan to go to a cobbler in Sherman Oaks (Los Angeles) to have a thin rubber layer (Vibram) added to the bottoms (I do this with all my leather-soled shoes to be worn outside). Any opinions on how this changes the look etc. of these or other shoes?

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
I just bought some Fiorenzos and plan to go to a cobbler in Sherman Oaks (Los Angeles) to have a thin rubber layer (Vibram) added to the bottoms (I do this with all my leather-soled shoes to be worn outside). Any opinions on how this changes the look etc. of these or other shoes?

It makes the bottoms look less like leather, and more like rubber. I believe that is all. There may be corresponding changes in texture and grip.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopamine
It definitely looks waaaay better now. Do you mind telling us what the price was?

+1

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 142 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%