• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*UPDATED* Help Finding Pointed Silk Knit Tie Options -- Bespoke (Drakes, Hober) / RTW

coolal

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've spent a good amount of time trying to find a currently sold version of the tie I'm posting pics of, to no avail.

My first problem is not knowing the exact tie type. There are no "folds", but it's knit silk from what I can tell and has an interlining.

Does anyone have any idea where I can purchase ties of similar design / construction? I'd love to know exactly what I need to ask for from a custom maker i.e. Sam Hober.

For reference, the tie is 3 3/8" wide.

*UPDATE*

So, I now know for sure that I'm looking for silk knit ties. The BIG challenge is finding pointed bottoms and sides that aren't straight in a width around 3 3/8 inches.

Tip Front
knit2.jpg

Tip Back
knit4.jpg

Label
knit3.jpg

Neck
knit1.jpg

Thanks for the help

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your pics aren't working, but it just sounds like a knit tie; either that or a grenadine but I think grenadines do have folds whereas knit ties don't. Not sure if Hober does knit ties, presumably since they need to be woven from scratch to the exact length/width required, meaning they would be much harder to make bespoke, but he has some nice grenadines. Edit: Ok, pics are working now, it looks like a knit. From what I can tell Drakes will do bespoke knits but they have a minimum 3 tie order and aren't cheap.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Your pics aren't working, but it just sounds like a knit tie; either that or a grenadine but I think grenadines do have folds whereas knit ties don't. Not sure if Hober does knit ties, presumably since they need to be woven from scratch to the exact length/width required, meaning they would be much harder to make bespoke, but he has some nice grenadines. Edit: Ok, pics are working now, it looks like a knit. From what I can tell Drakes will do bespoke knits but they have a minimum 3 tie order and aren't cheap.
It is a silk neck tie for sure not a grenadine. It will be hard for you to find 1960s 1970's Harrods Knight Bridge but if you can then good for you. Check out ebay! I love the tie by the way. great taste!

kohelet

Reaction score
When I get the chance I'll help ya look for one. In the meantime do searches for "Diamond Checked Silk Knit Tie."

coolal

Reaction score
Your pics aren't working, but it just sounds like a knit tie; either that or a grenadine but I think grenadines do have folds whereas knit ties don't.

Not sure if Hober does knit ties, presumably since they need to be woven from scratch to the exact length/width required, meaning they would be much harder to make bespoke, but he has some nice grenadines.

Edit: Ok, pics are working now, it looks like a knit. From what I can tell Drakes will do bespoke knits but they have a minimum 3 tie order and aren't cheap.

Thanks for pointing me towards Drakes. I forgot about their bespoke knit option. The one bummer is the lack of complexity with regard to the pattern. It's solids for the most part.

Originally Posted by kohelet
It is a silk neck tie for sure not a grenadine. It will be hard for you to find 1960s 1970's Harrods Knight Bridge but if you can then good for you. Check out ebay! I love the tie by the way. great taste!

Diamond Checked Silk Knit Tie. <3

Thanks for the comments :) This is by far my favorite tie. It has a crunching sound and feeling every time you squeeze it. Something about the weave and or silk. I got it from my father, so it doesn't surprise me to hear you say it's a 60s / 70s vintage.

I've tried searching for Harrods silk knits for quite some time and I never get good results. All grenadine or solid silk weave.

Is Drakes the only player for bespoke knit silk ties? Any thoughts on a knit tie maker currently in business with similar design / quality?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolal
Any thoughts on a knit tie maker currently in business with similar design

Unlikely, the design is kinda dated. There must be someone who could recreate this design though, but I expect it would be quite expensive to have a one-off custom version made. Although Hober doesn't list knits on his website I would still ask him about it, he might be able to arrange something or at least suggest where you could go.

coolal

Reaction score
Unlikely, the design is kinda dated. There must be someone who could recreate this design though, but I expect it would be quite expensive to have a one-off custom version made. Although Hober doesn't list knits on his website I would still ask him about it, he might be able to arrange something or at least suggest where you could go.

This is what I was afraid of. EVERY single knit silk tie I find is super narrow and squared off. If I could find a pointed tip silk knit tie I'd be happy, regardless of the design.

I suppose it's the ease of manufacturing that forces everyone to use the exact same design?

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolal
This is what I was afraid of. EVERY single knit silk tie I find is super narrow and squared off. If I could find a pointed tip silk knit tie I'd be happy, regardless of the design.

I suppose it's the ease of manufacturing that forces everyone to use the exact same design?

OOOh I didnt realize you just wanted a silk knit tie. That's easy to find bro!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ITALO-PICCOLO-BL...item19bf5af50c

tell me ur price range and I'll help ya find more.

kohelet

Reaction score
For some reason I thought you wanted a vintage diamond knit silk tie from the company harrods knightbridge. Anything is possible to find, it is just how much time and work you are willing to put to get it. this one is lambswool http://cgi.ebay.com/THOMAS-KENT-KNIT...item255b7965cb so i am wondering if you want 100 % silk knit or any knit would make ya happy? Here is a diamond knit tie http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-KNIT-LON...item3caba33949 anyhow there are so many out there, check out ebay, check out etsy. I found a few others. but I am sure me posting a bunch of links would be annoying. http://cgi.ebay.com/knit-crochet-str...item230a0441fb

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kohelet
OOOh I didnt realize you just wanted a silk knit tie. That's easy to find bro!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ITALO-PICCOLO-BL...item19bf5af50c

tell me ur price range and I'll help ya find more.

Ahh, quick find! I should be more specific. I'm still in the bespoke state of mind, but if it isn't bespoke, I'd lean towards simpler designs. The spotted ones (hand sewn spots as Drakes calls them) are my favorite. Even better with a simple design, like the diamond check.

The price range would be in the $100-$175 range. First and foremost I'm looking for quality. Pointed tips (around 3 3/8" width) is an essential. But I'm pretty flexible on the design as long as it's classy and not too busy.

Drake's navy knitted silk with sky spots in a 3 3/8" pointed tip would make my day.

http://shoponline.drakes-london.com/...t%20spots.aspx

BTW I want to shy away from anything ebay related. Too much of a gamble for something this quality related.

Thanks

kohelet

Reaction score
Ebay may be a gamble but they do sell vintage. Bespoke tailoring isnt going to be vintage. It will just be a replica of vintage. And for 6$ you're not losing out if it isnt perfect. I like the tie of the link you put. How will you find someone who can do a knit that isnt sqaured is the major issue. This is the type of knitting and embroidery work is something my grandmother (she's in her 80's) would do... I don't think our generation cares to do such elegant work. If I were you I would treasure your dad's tie!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads