• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*UPDATED* A problem with high end shoe maker minor job.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
You took them to the shoemaker's own shop? If I understand that point correctly, and they irreparably damaged the shoes, they should replace them. Absolutely.

Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
But not right now, give them a bit of time.

Agreed on both points. They should (and I suspect, will, without fuss if they're one of the better makers as you say) replace them if they're irreparable. But give them a reasonable timeframe to make that assessment.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An update -

The shoes have been sent back to the factory, and will be 'speed[ed] up' through the factory so that the process will not take as long as up to two months. No mention has been made of what will happen if the marks cannot be hidden or of whether it is possible to hide them in the first place.

I have not yet asked what will be the remedy if this is the case? Should I save this question until I have seen the work or raise it soon?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
An update -

The shoes have been sent back to the factory, and will be 'speed[ed] up' through the factory so that the process will not take as long as up to two months. No mention has been made of what will happen if the marks cannot be hidden or of whether it is possible to hide them in the first place.

I have not yet asked what will be the remedy if this is the case? Should I save this question until I have seen the work or raise it soon?

You must not like these shoes very much.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
An update -

You should have already firmly stated your expectations in the event you were not satisfied. I would contact them immediately and have them commit to a time frame. Also let them know that you will refrain from demanding a new pair until you see the results. Let them know as long as you are satisfied it won't go any further. If you are not you expect a new pair.

Groover

Reaction score
I'd really like to know who it is.

Green?
Lobb?
C&J?
Church's?
Trickers?

They've all got shops where it counts.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kev777, no offense but your Avatar might cause some of us concern With that aside, Bengal-stripe is right, wait a fortnight If they rectify the situation to your satisfaction by fixing it right, lean on them for a discount on a future shoe purchase (if you feel comfortable giving them more of your business) If they botch the fix and can't satisfy you, you might want to try what that Iraqi reporter did to George Bush when he last visited Baghdad...throw it at their head...but expect assault charges and some time in jail.
smack.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a problem with some Lobb with metal taps on a pair of CityII.
I went to Jermyn street where I used to spend a few quids before going bespoke and all my RTW Lobbs were done through their workshop...
The result was not great...After a few months , the metal taps are starting to come off and I'm not happy at all..

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Kev777, no offense but your Avatar might cause some of us concern

Why would that be ???

On topic hope the shoes come back as you hope.......

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can now name the shoe maker as Edward Green. They have done a wonderful job on the repairing of my shoes, and it only took them about one week to send them back to the factory and repair them to my satisfaction, when both myself and the staff were worried that it may take longer.

They also included a free tin of shoe polish, and did not charge me for anything, included the original fitting of the metal toe plates. As such, I don't think I would ever worry about having my repairs and other such jobs handled by Edward Green & Co in the future. And would also advise anybody who asked me the same.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Terrific outcome. Thanks for the update.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"All's Well That Ends Well!"

Wear your shoes in good health!

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So pleased for you Jimmy and a pat on the back for Edward Green for a job well done !!

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Always best to give them a chance before going for the throat.
Glad it worked out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads