1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*UPDATED* A problem with high end shoe maker minor job.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ich_Dien, May 27, 2009.

1. kev777

kev777 Senior member

In all fairness, much of this work is done by hand, by human beings! We all make mistakes. Therefore, was it human error or carelessness? Given it is a reputable company I would give them the benefit of doubt and suggest that it was human error. Chances are that the manager is just as upset as you are.
    Here is what I would suggest:
    Give them a reasonable amount of time to correct the mistke to your satisfaction. One week is fair.
    Tell them that you are reserving your demand for a new pair until you see the results.
    This way you are being diplomatic while telling them up front what YOUR expectations are.
    You can always go to the mat later but you may not need to.

The OP has already stated these are higher level manufacturers and they made the mistake , they have quoted 8 weeks!!!!!!!! to repair..... now forgive me but if my company f**ks up we address it immediately not when we feel like it. This should have been sorted on the spot and i think hes being treated very unfairly indeed and is more than within his rights to demand a new pair and an apology in kind !!

2. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Let me have a guess: the modification with the metal toe caps was not fitted in the factory but by a contractor. (I believe all the shops would send that type of work "╦ťout of house'.) Having received the botched-up job, the shop will have given that contactor hell already and is now sending the shoes to the factory to correct the damage.

The shop staff are sales people not shoemakers or technicians, they will probably not know whether or not the damage can be rectified, So, to be on the safe side they have quoted you automatically eight weeks, as this is the time a full refurbishment takes. It is quite possible in a week or so, when the technical guys in the factory have had a look, they might conclude that a satisfactory repair is not possible and offer you a replacement.

If the problem was discussed only today or yesterday, the shoes might not have arrived back in the factory for an examination. Leave it for the time being. If you haven't heard anything new within a fortnight, contact the shop again and ask straight if the production manager has examined the shoes and if he feels, the factory can do a good job.

At this point, if the answer is not a definite "Yes, we can fix it to your satisfaction", then you might want to up the ante.

But not right now, give them a bit of time.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

The company should work feverishly to repair and return the shoes expeditiously. IMO, 8 weeks is unreasonable. Making your shoes right should be their number one prioritym regardless of what they have to do to make it happen. Anymore than two weeks is completely unacceptable IMO.

5. kev777

kev777 Senior member

The company should work feverishly to repair and return the shoes expeditiously. IMO, 8 weeks is unreasonable. Making your shoes right should be their number one prioritym regardless of what they have to do to make it happen. Anymore than two weeks is completely unacceptable IMO.

Agreed 100%

6. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Let me have a guess: the modification with the metal toe caps was not fitted in the factory but by a contractor. (I believe all the shops would send that type of work "╦ťout of house'.) Having received the botched-up job, the shop will have given that contactor hell already and is now sending the shoes to the factory to correct the damage.

The shop staff are sales people not shoemakers or technicians, they will probably not know whether or not the damage can be rectified, So, to be on the safe side they have quoted you automatically eight weeks, as this is the time a full refurbishment takes. It is quite possible in a week or so, when the technical guys in the factory have had a look, they might conclude that a satisfactory repair is not possible and offer you a replacement.

If the problem was discussed only today or yesterday, the shoes might not have arrived back in the factory for an examination. Leave it for the time being. If you haven't heard anything new within a fortnight, contact the shop again and ask straight if the production manager has examined the shoes and if he feels, the factory can do a good job.

At this point, if the answer is not a definite "Yes, we can fix it to your satisfaction", then you might want to up the ante.

You are the Gregory House of shoes.

7. Nick V.

The OP has already stated these are higher level manufacturers and they made the mistake , they have quoted 8 weeks!!!!!!!! to repair..... now forgive me but if my company f**ks up we address it immediately not when we feel like it. This should have been sorted on the spot and i think hes being treated very unfairly indeed and is more than within his rights to demand a new pair and an apology in kind !!

Try reading my post before blowing steam.

8. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Try reading my post before blowing steam.

Wasnt blowing steam at you my friend merely the situation that the OP has been put in . Apologies if it seemed that way...............[​IMG]

9. Avebury

Avebury Senior member

Personally, I'd wait to see if they do a good job, but if it's not up to scratch definitely a new pair, especially as they are new. At least you're on firm ground. I had a pair of Grensons re-soled by Timpsons and they left a deep cut mark in the side of the left shoe (which they failed to mention). Botch job all round. Fortunately these were a battered old pair that I wasn't too fussed about and was thinking to donating to the charity shop anyway, but even so it's still piss poor.

10. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Personally, I'd wait to see if they do a good job, but if it's not up to scratch definitely a new pair, especially as they are new. At least you're on firm ground. I had a pair of Grensons re-soled by Timpsons and they left a deep cut mark in the side of the left shoe (which they failed to mention). Botch job all round. Fortunately these were a battered old pair that I wasn't too fussed about and was thinking to donating to the charity shop anyway, but even so it's still piss poor.

The fact they failed to mention it is even more piss poor , if you uck up at least be man enough to own up !!!

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

You took them to the shoemaker's own shop? If I understand that point correctly, and they irreparably damaged the shoes, they should replace them. Absolutely.

Agreed on both points. They should (and I suspect, will, without fuss if they're one of the better makers as you say) replace them if they're irreparable. But give them a reasonable timeframe to make that assessment.

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

An update -

The shoes have been sent back to the factory, and will be 'speed[ed] up' through the factory so that the process will not take as long as up to two months. No mention has been made of what will happen if the marks cannot be hidden or of whether it is possible to hide them in the first place.

I have not yet asked what will be the remedy if this is the case? Should I save this question until I have seen the work or raise it soon?

13. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

An update -

The shoes have been sent back to the factory, and will be 'speed[ed] up' through the factory so that the process will not take as long as up to two months. No mention has been made of what will happen if the marks cannot be hidden or of whether it is possible to hide them in the first place.

I have not yet asked what will be the remedy if this is the case? Should I save this question until I have seen the work or raise it soon?

You must not like these shoes very much.

14. Nick V.

An update -

You should have already firmly stated your expectations in the event you were not satisfied. I would contact them immediately and have them commit to a time frame. Also let them know that you will refrain from demanding a new pair until you see the results. Let them know as long as you are satisfied it won't go any further. If you are not you expect a new pair.

15. knowsnothin

knowsnothin Senior member

If I were you, I'd ask for my money back.

16. Groover

Groover Senior member

I'd really like to know who it is.

Green?
    Lobb?
    C&J?
    Church's?
    Trickers?

They've all got shops where it counts.

17. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

Kev777, no offense but your Avatar might cause some of us concern With that aside, Bengal-stripe is right, wait a fortnight If they rectify the situation to your satisfaction by fixing it right, lean on them for a discount on a future shoe purchase (if you feel comfortable giving them more of your business) If they botch the fix and can't satisfy you, you might want to try what that Iraqi reporter did to George Bush when he last visited Baghdad...throw it at their head...but expect assault charges and some time in jail. [​IMG]

18. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I had a problem with some Lobb with metal taps on a pair of CityII.
    I went to Jermyn street where I used to spend a few quids before going bespoke and all my RTW Lobbs were done through their workshop...
    The result was not great...After a few months , the metal taps are starting to come off and I'm not happy at all..

19. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Kev777, no offense but your Avatar might cause some of us concern

Why would that be ???

On topic hope the shoes come back as you hope.......

20. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I can now name the shoe maker as Edward Green. They have done a wonderful job on the repairing of my shoes, and it only took them about one week to send them back to the factory and repair them to my satisfaction, when both myself and the staff were worried that it may take longer.

They also included a free tin of shoe polish, and did not charge me for anything, included the original fitting of the metal toe plates. As such, I don't think I would ever worry about having my repairs and other such jobs handled by Edward Green & Co in the future. And would also advise anybody who asked me the same.