*UPDATED* A problem with high end shoe maker minor job.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ich_Dien, May 27, 2009.

1. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I recently took a pair of shoes from one of the English shoe makers in the highest tier to the shop (whom I shall not name because I do not want them publicly ousted) in order to have a very minor job performed upon them - putting metal tips on them. I took them to the shop so I could have the peace of mind that a quality job would be performed.

The problem is, that when they returned from the job, along the sole were two deep long incised marks, as well as a very nasty burn / scuff mark on one of the toes.

I have been refunded for the job, and the shoes are being returned to the factory in an attempt to get the mark out - though I think both they and I know that it is quite futile and the whole process will probably take about two months.

What should I do about this? Do I have a right to ask for a new pair of shoes? Or is the fact that they are potentially going to refurb the whole shoe (although I doubt they will get the mark out) enough?

*SEE UPDATE BELOW*

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is the damage only to the sole? Or the uppers? Can it be seen when the shoes are worn?

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

The damage is to both the sole (which cannot be seen when worn), and the toe (which is quite evident when worn).

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

OK, by "toe" I wasn't sure if you meant the front edge of the sole or the upper itself.

Were these new? If so and the upper is damaged, I'd say they owe you a new pair of shoes. If they wouldn't sell them that way in the shop, they shouldn't foist them upon you.

If they're worn, I guess compensation would depend on the wear and the severity of the damage.

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

They had been worn once, which is the advice I was given as regarding putting metal toe taps on them.

6. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

You took them to the shoemaker's own shop? If I understand that point correctly, and they irreparably damaged the shoes, they should replace them. Absolutely.

7. whistle&flute

whistle&flute Member

I recently took a pair of shoes from one of the English shoe makers in the highest tier to the shop (whom I shall not name because I do not want them publicly ousted) in order to have a very minor job performed upon them - putting metal tips on them. I took them to the shop so I could have the peace of mind that a quality job would be performed.

The problem is, that when they returned from the job, along the sole were two deep long incised marks, as well as a very nasty burn / scuff mark on one of the toes.

I have been refunded for the job, and the shoes are being returned to the factory in an attempt to get the mark out - though I think both they and I know that it is quite futile and the whole process will probably take about two months.

What should I do about this? Do I have a right to ask for a new pair of shoes? Or is the fact that they are potentially going to refurb the whole shoe (although I doubt they will get the mark out) enough?

If the shoe was new I would demand a new pair, but if not then give them a chance to rectify the mistake which I doubt they will, then demand a new pair

8. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

It is unacceptable that you have to wait upwards to two months for your shoes to return. I would politely ask for a new pair seeing as you only used the shoes once. And I think the argument Doc makes, that they wouldn't give your shoes to a new customer will serve you well.

9. nioh

nioh Senior member

Unless they manage to successfully repair the damages, I wouldn't except anything but a new pair of shoes.

10. kev777

kev777 Senior member

You took them to the shoemaker's own shop? If I understand that point correctly, and they irreparably damaged the shoes, they should replace them. Absolutely.

Def +1 here i wouldnt have thought there was any doubt even in their minds surely ???

Have you asked for a new pair ??????

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

12. marin

marin Senior member

It is unacceptable that you have to wait upwards to two months for your shoes to return. I would politely ask for a new pair seeing as they only used the shoes once. And I think the argument Doc makes, that they wouldn't give your shoes to a new customer will serve you well.

+1. If they have any pride in serving their customers, this will be a simple decision for a high-end store

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I haven't asked for a new pair yet - no. They were very accommodating but the overall experience is that ultimately I'm probably going to end up with a ruined pair of shoes, unless I get rather aggressively upset and demand a new pair.

14. kev777

kev777 Senior member

I haven't asked for a new pair yet - no. They were very accommodating but the overall experience is that ultimately I'm probably going to end up with a ruined pair of shoes, unless I get rather aggressively upset and demand a new pair.

You my boy need a "northern" friend to look after you , this will be solved very easily , where do we meet for this showdown? you will go to the ball Cinders and in unmarked shoes !!!!!! Get tough my friend they takin the piss even trying to mend em !!!!!

15. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

It is unacceptable that you have to wait upwards to two months for your shoes to return. I would politely ask for a new pair seeing as they only used the shoes once. And I think the argument Doc makes, that they wouldn't give your shoes to a new customer will serve you well.

Absolutely agree. I would contact them immediately. Why should you have to wait 2 months for their mistake?