• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UPDATE: (Posture and rushed pics vs.) First bespoke suit - please critique

Antedote

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently had my first bespoke suit made at Trend Custom Tailors in Toronto by Don Lee. There have been a few threads on him, with mixed opinions. I'm really happy with the piece, a 3-piece suit with a few innovations (special blackberry pocket in the pants to minimize the bulge, hidden key pocket in the front of the pants also to minimize bulge, exposed belt buckle on the vest via a cutaway), and overall very well-constructed (IMHO). I also had a shirt made with a watch cuff (visible in last pic), which will be nicer on the next one when it's more rounded I hope.

I know the suit is a touch on the long side, that was my idea, seemed to look right that way. I have a 10-inch drop, and it's fairly suppressed, though without a lot of tension. I hope the photos do it justice, because from the back, there's usually no wrinkles visible. I'd really appreciate any feedback on how it looks + how it could be improved for next time. Thanks!

-A

UPDATE: So I was wondering why the pics looked so horrible compared to what I remembered in-store, and I realized my posture was unnatural for the pics I took (years of my mom telling me to stand up straight for pics, when I'm a sloucher, and that's the position the suit was measured for). So I decided to retake some of the pictures without the vest (which I won't be usually wearing together with the jacket anyway, planned on mostly separate use), and actually stand the way I should. There are definitely some critiques that would remain (shoulders still too wide, arms not sitting right, pants are messy), though I don't think it's the train wreck I thought it was at first - would appreciate the feedback.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
I like the suit, overall, but it does appear to me that the back is longer on the left side than it is on the right? Maybe it is the way you are wearing the coat? Otherwise, I like the suit. That watch cuff on the shirt, however, does not do it for me at all. Just not liking that.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit looks nice, that shirt cuff is horrendous though, IMO

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Oh man, that shirt cuff is terrible! The suit however looks good. How much did it run you?

intlnews

Reaction score
The watch cuff us ugly as hell. Burn the shirt. But the suit is very nice.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of points -- It looks like the jacket sleeves are a tad longer. Can't really tell, but I can see the shirt cuff on the side you're wearing your watch but not really on the other one. Also, is it slightly pinched with the vest on? Otherwise, nice suit. Not a fan of the shirt, but hey -- whatever floats your boat.
smile.gif

goldknots

Reaction score
In the first pic, it looks like there is too much bunching of material in the arms. Waist looks good and the pants seem to fit very good. Not sold on the cutaway vest, or the blackberry pocket and certainly not the shirt cuff, but seems like you had fun with it and it is def a one of a kind suit with these additions. Enjoy.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The top half of the jacket looks off. The shoulders, the chest, the sleeves. I also don't see the logic in a notch cut in the vest to see a belt buckle, when a vest should obscure a belt buckle, or in reality you should not wear one at all...but have side tabs instead. I find that to be distracting to say the least. I also don't understand the shirt cuff at all. This whole suit just seems loaded with gimmicks that detract from it, instead of adding. If you get the top half tightened up, and the sleeves fixed, it could be a decent looking suit. As it stands, it needs work to my (relatively untrained) eyes.

Mike

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lol'd at the cuff, but the suit looks good, except for whatever's going on in the upper back.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrible for something touted as "bespoke"

The fit is just atrocious. Stylistic choices are up to you. The bad fit cannot be forgiven

Zackb911

Reaction score
The shirt watch cuff is really hideous and I'm a big watch guy.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit = awesome.
Shirt =
facepalm.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
suit looks great, but allow me to echo the comments....toss that shirt and get one thats worth wearing with the suit. good lord.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads