• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Update on "Where can Canadians shop"

arirang

Reaction score
^ It could be more about positioning than about moving more expensive expensive suits. If the highest sticker price at Moore's is $495, then the perception among Moore's customers is that a $495 suit is expensive and a $295 suit should do just fine.

However, if there are a bunch of $1095 suits on the rack, then suddenly $495 doesn't seem so bad. And the place looks classier because they have a bunch of "high end" suits for sale.

Moore's is owned by Men's Wearhouse - what does the latter do in its U.S. stores? Do they employ a similar strategy?

(I too would be interested in knowing what kinds of suits Moore's is pricing at that point. Who knows, if they sell a decent product for $1000, they could end up putting the heat on Harry Rosen and their lackluster selection of $1000 Hugo Bosses.)

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The last time I walked by Moores (I won't go into one), their nicest suit was CK. In order to compete with high end stores, they would have to completely rebrand themselves and sell all the polyester they own (this could take awhile).

stylemeup

Reaction score
So the purpose of this thread is for the OP to convince us that Moore's is good now? I say that's false. Moore's is crap and always will be crap.

I bought about 6 pairs of socks from Moore's once and every single pair of them was full of holes after the very first wash.

I'll stick to eBAY and sf til some real news of "where Canadians can shop" surfaces.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where all gentlemen shop ... in England.

nexus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
So the purpose of this thread is for the OP to convince us that Moore's is good now? I say that's false. Moore's is crap and always will be crap.

I bought about 6 pairs of socks from Moore's once and every single pair of them was full of holes after the very first wash.

I'll stick to eBAY and sf til some real news of "where Canadians can shop" surfaces.

I clearly never said Moores is "good now". I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm simply passing on something I found interesting. This is one new store in a brand new retail development. They are clearly trying to move into a broader range of suits at this particular location. The suggestion was that they may try to do the same in other markets as well.

Victoria is a unique market as you are almost necessarily well-off just to afford to live here. It is stuffed to the brim with government employees and lawyers, and there is a very real market for mid-to-high-range business clothing in town that just simply isn't being served.

To suggest that a company is incapable of change - for better or for worse - is pretty short-sighted. Its the same attitude that causes people to buy items based on brand rather than fit and construction. "XXXX is great and will always be great."

nexus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LegB4Wicket
Thanks for the info nexus. I might just venture into Moores next time I find myself at Uptown. Still skeptical about their quality but good to hear they are trying.

Nyren has some pretty good stock but for some stupid reason I feel uncomfortable everytime I walk into his store. Can't quite put a finger on why, it's a nice store. Service is fine but sometimes can be a bit pushy. Just me I guess.

Have you ever tried Outlooks on Yates? Good service. Clothing is alright. More middle quality but very good for casual and weekend wear. And they now sell Grenson shoes!

My biggest pet peeve is over shoes. It's damn near impossible to buy quality men's shoes at reasonable prices in this country. $450 for Allan Edmonds... madness!

I know EXACTLY what you mean about Nyren. Weird vibe in there. Nice staff and beautiful shop but it feels like the staff is on commission. Maybe they are. As much as I'd love to drop a couple grand on a few shirts and pants each time I'm in there, it just isn't in the cards. Same vibe I get from high end electronics stores - not only can I not afford anything in there, but I don't like the way the over-nice staff make me feel when I say no.

Shoes are the worst, especially in Victoria. You know you're in trouble when its a toss-up between the shoe rack at Value Village and Payless.

nexus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Moores sells suits in the $1000 price range??

Is this a joke? Are you actually serious?

If you're actually serious about this, then please tell us what exactly are the so-called "designer brands" they carry in suits?

Personally, I really don't think the typical Moores customer will actually spend $1000 on a suit. The customer who walks into a Moores store is looking for, and EXPECTING, a cheap/inexpensive suit. A customer who's looking for $1000 suits would go to Harry Rosen or Holt Renfrew, not Moores.

Sure, but like I say, consider the Victoria market - there are $300 suits and $2000 suits available, but nothing in the mid-range. There are going to be other towns and cities with the same problem. Someone with a $1000 suit budget would find the pickings pretty slim in Harry Rosen or Holt Renfrew, at least in Vancouver, especially if you factor in ferry/hotel/food into that budget.

I don't see whats so unbelievable about any of this. That is the point - that this particular Moores is designed to capture not only the "typical" Moores customer but that underserved middle market as well. Its good business to identify niches and occupy them, especially if you already have the retail space. Aside from a bit of capital outlay, what does it really cost Moores to carry higher end clothes? Even if its only a few mid-range suits in a few common sizes, its a better store than it was.

I hope it is successful. If not, oh well, no real skin off my nose.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nexus
Sure, but like I say, consider the Victoria market - there are $300 suits and $2000 suits available, but nothing in the mid-range. There are going to be other towns and cities with the same problem. Someone with a $1000 suit budget would find the pickings pretty slim in Harry Rosen or Holt Renfrew, at least in Vancouver, especially if you factor in ferry/hotel/food into that budget.

I don't see whats so unbelievable about any of this. That is the point - that this particular Moores is designed to capture not only the "typical" Moores customer but that underserved middle market as well. Its good business to identify niches and occupy them, especially if you already have the retail space. Aside from a bit of capital outlay, what does it really cost Moores to carry higher end clothes? Even if its only a few mid-range suits in a few common sizes, its a better store than it was.

I hope it is successful. If not, oh well, no real skin off my nose.

Yes, I understand what you mean. Tip Top is doing a similar thing right now: a few select locations (based on past sales history and merchandise volume and surrounding area's demographics) are now labeled "metro stores". The metro locations carry a broader variety of merchanidse including brands and merchandise that are not available in their other locations.

But back to Moores: what are these brands they're selling in the $1000 range at this particular location??

nexus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Yes, I understand what you mean. Tip Top is doing a similar thing right now: a few select locations (based on past sales history and merchandise volume and surrounding area's demographics) are now labeled "metro stores". The metro locations carry a broader variety of merchanidse including brands and merchandise that are not available in their other locations.

But back to Moores: what are these brands they're selling in the $1000 range at this particular location??

I don't recall the brands as I wasn't really paying attention one way or the other at that time. Grand opening of the new store so there wasn't much opportunity to do much but chat with some of the managers and such. I will update next time I'm by there, I live up-island and only to that neighbourhood every couple of weeks.

aridhol

Reaction score
Sorry to dredge this up but I just came from the new Moores store in Victoria. Suits ranged from $200 to about $800 that I saw. I didn't recognize any of their "designer" brands but all the suits I looked at were 100% wool and there was a great selection (store is 4x normal moores size).
I did try a couple on and they felt pretty good but would need altering.

Lots of shirt selection with a good variety of patterns but the prices were high for what you're getting ($80+).
Tie selection was terrible, all crappy.
Pocket squares were cheap $5, all silk in solid colors.
Shoe selection was pretty crappy too.

Service wasn't pushy and was actually pretty helpful, the lady who was helping me mentioned that they are having some big sale on monday and that I shouldn't buy anything today
smile.gif

If the sale is really good I will be picking up a navy suit I tried on and I'll post some pics.

I hope this helps the more budget challenged canadians without easy access to good stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads