• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Update on interview

Lomezz

Reaction score
Thanks for all who chimed in with outfit advice. I wore the simple navy suit, Hilditch shirt (light blue) and Borrelli tie (navy/blue/gold). BTW, the people who interviewed me give a whole new meaning to the word 'casual'...

Anyway, I don't think it'll work out. Problem is, as always, money  - I'm probably asking for too much for my position.

Well, I'm not on the street  - I have a good job with good pay and convenient hours. Accepting a job at a law firm means probably a small pay cut AND almost 50% increase in hours. Not much of a deal, but I wanted a couple of years at a big firm on my resume. I guess I'll keep on looking.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Accepting a job at a law firm means probably a small pay cut AND almost 50% increase in hours.
What kind of job is that, and where can I sign up???  I'm moving to the federal government from a large law firm for lesser hours and about half the pay.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys moving to? I hope to be at Justice in the next two years.

Lomezz

Reaction score
Don't get too excited, Ambulance... I'm just a lowly in-house attorney at a financial services firm laboring away in my windowless office...

May I ask what is your area of expertise?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get too excited, Ambulance... I'm just a lowly in-house attorney at a financial services firm laboring away in my windowless office...

May I ask what is your area of expertise?
My "expertise," if it can be called that, is in helping corporate defendants chop down large jury awards, particularly punitive damages awards, on appeal.  Thus the irony of my handle . . . I am (was) in reality a "Corporate Flunkie," although "Ambulance Chaser" had a much nicer ring.  I am moving to the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice, which I hope the ladies will find much more interesting and sexy than "associate in large law firm X."

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool, Ambulance Chaser.  I imagine you are taking quite a pay cut, but I hear the hours are great.  A friend of mine is in Civil Appellate, which sounds like the sweetest gig in the DOJ.  Are you a liberal?  I hear Civil Rights is quite a misnomer over there right now.  But either way that is a big time score.  How many years out of law school are you (I'd imagine you weren't a partner or anything yet)?

Lomezz

Reaction score
Sounds great, Ambulance. if you are able to derive interest and satissfaction from your job, as I'm sure you will be in the civil right division, than money becomes less of an important issue.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is in Civil Appellate, which sounds like the sweetest gig in the DOJ. Â Are you a liberal? Â I hear Civil Rights is quite a misnomer over there right now.
I will be in Civil Rights Appellate. Â The office is much smaller than Civil Appellate (14 attorneys vs. 60-something attorneys) and I have heard anecdotally that the work is much more interesting. I lean conservative, but not so conservative that I don't believe in federal civil rights laws. In any event, being a lawyer -- either in the government or in private practice -- sometimes requires you to take positions with which you personally disagree. What's important is that you represent your client's interests to the best of your ability.
How many years out of law school are you (I'd imagine you weren't a partner or anything yet)?
I am six years out of law school. Â I advise you to work a bit in private practice instead of going to Justice in two years. You want to be able to pay off those law school loans and those W.W. Chan suits. Â
biggrin.gif
Sounds great, Ambulance. if you are able to derive interest and satissfaction from your job, as I'm sure you will be in the civil right division, than money becomes less of an important issue.
Thanks. My relationship with my old firm was like a romantic relationship that both parties knew for awhile was not going to end up with a lifelong commitment. I stayed there much longer than I should have, because I thought that leaving would be akin to admitting failure. Once I got past that mindset, the decision to leave was quite easy.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope to be going the teaching route very quickly after law school (I just graduated and am clerking). My wife and I have saved quite well, and my school gives great income protection and has great fellowships for public interest, so even going to DOJ will allow me to live a decent lifestyle (and, by the way, I'm trying to spread the cost of those nice suits over at least a 5 year period, making them very affordable indeed&#33
wink.gif
cool.gif
I think you are right that Civil Rights Appellate might be the creme de la creme over there. Wow, I'm jealous.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope to be going the teaching route very quickly after law school (I just graduated and am clerking).
I clerked for a federal court of appeals judge after graduating law school.  I absolutely loved it.  It is the best legal job you will ever have until you become a judge yourself.  I just think it's cool to open up the Federal Reporter and be able to say, "Hey, I wrote that."
I think you are right that Civil Rights Appellate might be the creme de la creme over there.  Wow, I'm jealous.
The only place in the federal government I could possibly want to move to from Civil Rights Appellate would be the SG's office -- but I'm getting way ahead of myself considering I haven't even started yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads