• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upcoming Funeral - Navy Suit Okay?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is navy the new black? Or is black still the exclusive color of death?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've worn really dark charcoal before and not stood out. Picture of the navy?

My only hesitation is that a black tie might not look good against a dark navy suit. If so, you might need to go with dark gray for the tie...which is moving pretty far away from funeral attire. Still, if the navy and gray are dark enough, and you're wearing black shoes and a white shirt, the look should be appropriately somber.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sympathies on your loss.

I've always worn dark grey suits to funerals (as I've never cared to own a black suit), but honestly any dark suit with a white shirt and somber tie strikes me as being entirely appropriate to wear to a funeral.

Don't worry overmuch about navy vs. charcoal, or things like that. So long as you've made a reasonable effort to dress in a respectful manner which reflects the nature of the occasion, you'll be fine. Funerals are not fashion events, after all. And if anyone has the gall to question your choice of suit (highly unlikely, that), it would be that individual whose priorities are out of whack, and whose understanding of what a funeral is actually about is in need of some serious modification.

As something of an aside, you may also ignore people who may tell you that a white pocket square is inappropriate to wear at a funeral. It's an extremely common practice. Rule of thumb is that if Ronald Reagan, Prince Charles, and countless other men have done it, at funerals up to and including ones for heads of state, it's pretty much okay. Same deal with regard to simple cuff links, if you normally wear shirts with French cuffs.

Claghorn - While one may not care for black ties with navy suits in general, for wearing to a funeral a black tie is always acceptable. Even with a navy suit. Same way that a person may feel that a white shirt is unflattering to his pale complexion, but when it's a funeral that issue can be set aside. (Personally, I don't think that a black tie with a navy suit necessarily looks bad. I just think that some other color tie would usually look a little better.)

NAMOR - Navy is not the new black. The new black is black. The old black was also black. Guess what the future black will be? :)

Okay, that's not entirely true. Sometimes a midnight blue really is a "better" black (say, when it comes to a tuxedo).

But, in any case, charcoal suits have long been perfectly appropriate for funerals, at least in the United States. (I can't really speak to what's appropriate in other countries.) Navy blue suits are perhaps less ideal than black or charcoal, but certainly not to the extent that they're disrespectful or embarrassing.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I attended a funeral on Saturday. There were folks wearing jubilant bow ties, others in tweed and open collar, some in sweatshirts. The deceased's teen-aged grandson wore a matching tie and pocket square set with no jacket, such that the pocket square was stuffed into his shirt pocket.

I was the only one in a dark suit with a black necktie; the church was PACKED. Of the two declarative statements in the previous sentence, the latter is vastly more important. Go with navy. You'll be fine.

My condolences.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sympathies, of course it is. Nobody will notice and anything goes these days even at the most staid of gatherings. It is attendance not dress at most that matters.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I've got several suits ranging from light gray to medium gray and navy fine pinstripe flannel charcoal fine pines tripe. Ironically I recently sold a charcoal RLBL suit that would have been perfect, while all the others have gone unworn (so far).

I included "Upcoming" in the title because no one is dead yet. I'm actually visiting my relative in a few min but she's been given 30 days to live.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score

Thanks guys, I've got several suits ranging from light gray to medium gray and navy fine pinstripe flannel charcoal fine pines tripe. Ironically I recently sold a charcoal RLBL suit that would have been perfect, while all the others have gone unworn (so far). * * *

A dark, conservative, business suit is acceptable, preferably in the following order:

1. solid;

2. subdued stripe; and

3. subdued plaid.

Navy is "the serious business suit."

A black tie will be fine although many people have forgotten the tradition.

Good luck.

Frist23

Reaction score
So sorry for your coming loss.

For a suit, I think as long as it is dark, serious and somber, you should be fine. But I haven't been to too many funerals, thankfully.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark Charcoal trousrer.. Dark Navy jacket.. burgundy and black rep stripe tie, white spread collar works every occasion without the stuffed suit look.

EdT

Reaction score
Black pin stripe suit is the only black suit you should own.
If you're not the funeral director, don't wear a black tie ! ...LoL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads