• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

up to date New Orleans recs

ACSG

Reaction score
The antique stores are great, IMHO. There are some awesome and unique places, like Cohen and Sons, for antique weapons and currency, and some great antique/vintage watch and clock shops. The real benefit to shopping in New Orleans is in old stuff that you can't get everywhere. NO can't ever compete with NYC for new and shiny, but nobody does old and patinated like the Crescent City.

I was once at Couronne Jewelry and Watches looking at a gorgeous NOS Zenith El Primero, talking to the owner about how his dad got piles of them when Zenith TV and Zenith watches were under the same corporate umbrella. After we'd been talking awhile, he showed me drawings of a watch he was planning to produce himself. It was cool to see the press releases and photos for New Orleans Watch Co when he had them produced. That sort of thing happens there, and it's cool.

One other gem in New Orleans that's not to be missed is Meyer the Hatter. It's just outside the Quarter, but it's a must-visit. Sam Meyer has been selling hats since he got back from WW2, and has designed at least one model by Stetson. They're on their third or fourth generation of Meyers running the store, and apparently get an impressive amount of celebrity traffic. I wrote a blog post about my visit there: http://www.completesoutherngentleman.com/stetson-gulfport-hat-by-meyer-the-hatter-new-orleans/

Hope you have a good time!

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the custom here? My wife is thinking about buying an antique chandelier. Do we bargain hard? Are any shops better than others for that sort of thing? Is the Quarter more marked up because of the tourists?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the custom here? My wife is thinking about buying an antique chandelier. Do we bargain hard? Are any shops better than others for that sort of thing? Is the Quarter more marked up because of the tourists?

ACSG

Reaction score
My philosophy is to bargain for anything except McDonald's or Apple in NO. The worst they can say is that they're sticking to the sticker price. At least ask what the best they can do is, then discuss.

My wife loves Renaissance Interiors in Metairie. It's a consignment furniture store ( http://www.yourrenaissance.com/index.html ). It's not glamorous, but they do have some cool pieces with much lower overhead than in the Quarter. On the other hand, most of the truly beautiful stuff is in the French Quarter, even if the rent is higher.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to Muriel's and it was fine for what it was but maybe slightly too pricey. Bellocq had good cocktails. Spitfire coffee has been solid although they use a lot of Ritual which is a crappy overrated roaster.

Nola tonight.

Bought some Handy Rye and Toulose Red Absinthe. Zoo went over well with the little dude.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nola was also good but frankly about the same level as Muriel's. Cafe Amelie has a lovely courtyard but the food was so-so. Cochon butcher muffelata was also good.

Perestroika for drinks wasn't bad, but Bar Tonique is definitely holding out as the best. Kiefe has a great liquor selection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads