1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

up to date New Orleans recs

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by globetrotter, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

its not the best version ever, but nothing beats having a bananas foster at Brenan's.

2. kuslamb

kuslamb Senior member

Lafitte's Blaksmith Shop - Purple Drank (+ people watching, more PD).

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

that shit was VILE! but i'd hang out there for a beer anytime.

4. ACSG

ACSG Member

Glad you had a good time!

5. otc

otc Senior member

I loved my lunch at commanders. It did feel dated, but the service was fantastic and the food was great. They were willing to give me a trio of the gumbo of the day, the turtle soup, and something else. I'm not a big restaurant dessert person, but the bread pudding souffle was perfect.

A previous resident had left the commanders cookbook in my first apartment and I had always wanted to go...I'd happily go again.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I enjoyed it a lot, and it was (on a previous trip) my wife's favorite place. I'd go again in an instant. I wish I had thought to ask for half portions of the gumbo and the turtle soup.

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Any thoughts on shopping? What should I be buying while down here?

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

It's not a shopping destination. Slim pickings and nothing not available in other similar cities.

9. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So skip the antiques stores? How are the art galleries - serious or wannabe?

10. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Ok so far:

Cochon. Worth it, everything we had was good

Sobou for bruch, the PB&J was amazing.

Cafe Adelaide great service but food was okay

Bar Tonique was excellent.

Next up August, NOLA and Herbsaint.

Need to start hitting the "low" stuff like mufallata, gumbo, po-boys, etc. thinking Cochon Butcher for the muf, JW Fina for the po boy but not sure for gumbo etc.

11. ACSG

ACSG Member

The antique stores are great, IMHO. There are some awesome and unique places, like Cohen and Sons, for antique weapons and currency, and some great antique/vintage watch and clock shops. The real benefit to shopping in New Orleans is in old stuff that you can't get everywhere. NO can't ever compete with NYC for new and shiny, but nobody does old and patinated like the Crescent City.

I was once at Couronne Jewelry and Watches looking at a gorgeous NOS Zenith El Primero, talking to the owner about how his dad got piles of them when Zenith TV and Zenith watches were under the same corporate umbrella. After we'd been talking awhile, he showed me drawings of a watch he was planning to produce himself. It was cool to see the press releases and photos for New Orleans Watch Co when he had them produced. That sort of thing happens there, and it's cool.

One other gem in New Orleans that's not to be missed is Meyer the Hatter. It's just outside the Quarter, but it's a must-visit. Sam Meyer has been selling hats since he got back from WW2, and has designed at least one model by Stetson. They're on their third or fourth generation of Meyers running the store, and apparently get an impressive amount of celebrity traffic. I wrote a blog post about my visit there: http://www.completesoutherngentleman.com/stetson-gulfport-hat-by-meyer-the-hatter-new-orleans/

Hope you have a good time!

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

What is the custom here? My wife is thinking about buying an antique chandelier. Do we bargain hard? Are any shops better than others for that sort of thing? Is the Quarter more marked up because of the tourists?

13. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

What is the custom here? My wife is thinking about buying an antique chandelier. Do we bargain hard? Are any shops better than others for that sort of thing? Is the Quarter more marked up because of the tourists?

14. ACSG

ACSG Member

My philosophy is to bargain for anything except McDonald's or Apple in NO. The worst they can say is that they're sticking to the sticker price. At least ask what the best they can do is, then discuss.

My wife loves Renaissance Interiors in Metairie. It's a consignment furniture store ( http://www.yourrenaissance.com/index.html ). It's not glamorous, but they do have some cool pieces with much lower overhead than in the Quarter. On the other hand, most of the truly beautiful stuff is in the French Quarter, even if the rent is higher.

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Went to Muriel's and it was fine for what it was but maybe slightly too pricey. Bellocq had good cocktails. Spitfire coffee has been solid although they use a lot of Ritual which is a crappy overrated roaster.

Nola tonight.

Bought some Handy Rye and Toulose Red Absinthe. Zoo went over well with the little dude.

16. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Nola was also good but frankly about the same level as Muriel's. Cafe Amelie has a lovely courtyard but the food was so-so. Cochon butcher muffelata was also good.

Perestroika for drinks wasn't bad, but Bar Tonique is definitely holding out as the best. Kiefe has a great liquor selection.

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

told ya so.

don't go to Central Grocery for a muffalata. overrated IMO. I cannot for the life of me remember the place that I got the recommendation for.