up to date New Orleans recs

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by globetrotter, Jan 22, 2013.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have 3 nights for business in NO coming up. any good recomendations for stuff that might be new or relativly unknown? a few good meals.

thanks

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  3. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Hell, toss in Butcher for a great lunch spot, it shares a kitchen with Cochon. You can't go wrong with any of them. Herbsaint is titties.

Root is a damn good new spot, as is August. All of them are in close proximity to the quarter (in warehouse district). 10-15 minute walk from canal street area. Clancy's and Annunciation are good, too.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Third the rec for Cochon. Mothers for the crawfish etouffee. People say the blackened oysters at Dragos are the best but I really didn't find them to be anything special. The food at Luke was good if a little pricey for what you got. I didn't have a chance to eat there, but everyone absolutely raved about Restaurant August.

I HIGHLY recommend going to Felix Oyster House and standing at the bar for shucked oysters. Better than Acme IMO.

If you have a chance for a good drink, head over to Bar Tonique. Amazing little place that does everything right, and very very well.

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

^Mothers for breakfast. Nothing fancy, but it's where the locals go and the line was out the door when I was there several years ago.

6. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

I'll 2nd Felix over acme, too. It isn't as dressed up as acme but the food is better. Their fried crab claws are the bomb.

Another awesome spot is Stanley in Jackson Square, especially if you're there on a Sunday morning for the brunch. If you want the real deal dirty Cajun, go to Coop's.

Uptown, Jacques-Imo's is one of my favorite restaurants ever. It gets a lot of hype and locals may whine but it is incredible and you can ride the streetcar up there and take in the sights.

Also, get a sazerac at the bar next to Arnaud's.

7. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

+1
    That place was one of the highlights of my New Orleans trip.

Can't say I loved Felix Oyster Bar, though. Maybe I was oystered out by that point, but I found the plastic Denny's plates and the whole vibe kind of unappetizing.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Thanks for reminding me - get a sazerac at Sazerac bar in the Roosevelt Hotel:

http://therooseveltneworleans.com/dining/the-sazerac-bar.html

The supposed originators of the drink. You could go for a French 75 at Arnaud's:
    http://www.arnaudsrestaurant.com/french-75/

You know, I never ate any of their actual food. But standing at the bar, shucking oysters right onto the bar countertop (they don't give you plates!) and mixing your own cocktail sauce, all while drinking beer really made for an awesome experience.

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Bk-marked....

10. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior member

Most of the above recommendations are good; Felix's is best when you've already started drinking (but much better than Acme), and Stanley was quite disappointing the last time I was there. August is phenomenal but reservations need to be booked way in advance. IMO Jacques-Imo's is more style than substance - Dick and Jenny's on Tchoupitoulas (a block from Tipitina's, which is itself worth a trip) is a better alternative. Cochon and Herbsaint are tops.

If you don't mind venturing off the beaten path, Maurepas Foods in the Bywater is great and pretty cheap with an awesome cocktail list. MiLa (a few blocks off Canal on Common) is one of my personal favorites, some of the best modern cuisine in town. SoBou made Esquire's Best New Restaurants in America a few months ago, but I haven't been blown away in either of my two visits. Bayona on Iberville is one of the best - similar to August but cheaper and not as much hype. Can't go wrong with the Old Guard (Commander's Palace, Galatoire's, Arnaud's etc.) but there are plenty of great new spots as well.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  11. globetrotter

thanks, now I need a place open sunday nights. but great list, thanks

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Emeril's eponymous restaurant is open Sundays. Actually I think all of his places are. I've had some very good food at his NOLA.

13. globetrotter

lol, I just got a reservation at nola. thanks

14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Cool- it's not large, casual atmosphere. Food can be pretty good and staff was always great. Won't be anything fancy.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

+1. i liked the ambience better than Emeril's as well. Just felt more relaxed.