Up-and-coming career paths? Going back to school

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by jarude, Aug 1, 2011.

1. jarude

jarude Senior member

I am finishing a college diploma in HR. I'm not exactly sold on working in HR, and have to finish my university degree in order to obtain the professional designation. Problem is, my half-finished degree is in English. My "old" plan was to finish the English degree and go to law school, but given the amount of advice against doing such a thing here, I've begun to reconsider.

So, if you had the opportunity to go back to school in your mid-twenties, what would you do? Math and spatial thought are weak areas for me, so areas like Engineering are out. The world of business doesn't appeal to me either. What up-and-coming career paths are opening up in today's day and age? I am considering getting into a trade, but am going to finish my degree regardless so I want it to be in something "profitable." Its not like I'm a teenager going to college for the first time and can afford to be directionless and get an arts degree just because - I would like to get the most bang for my buck out of my education, considering I'm mid-twenties already.

What did you get your education in, and where do you work now? What if you could do it over again?

2. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

I got my degree in Management Information Systems. Initially I paired MIS/Finance, but dropped Finance due to lack of interest and slight time constraint (It was most definitely do-able, but I was definitely not very disciplined about my scheduling). I currently work in the IT department of a F500 healthcare company (I interned there the summer before starting Senior year).

I really enjoyed my internship experience and content with current position but if I could do it over again, I would've either looked into Accounting or finish Finance degree (in addition to MIS, which I really liked) and looked into working in Advisory (big 4).

I'm curious though, what exactly does a diploma in HR entail? What did you learn in the courses? And ultimately what was your reason for choosing HR? Also, have you had any internships?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

The diploma in HR gives you the necessary courses needed to write the test to attain the professional HR designation here in Ontario. I picked it since it was the least business-like of the business fields - I suck with numbers, accounting gives me nightmares, etc. but before I knew what HR was all about I figured I'd be a good "people person" and went into it. Little did I know its more working for the man than working for the people, but anyways... I have a mentorship coming up next semester which is basically job shadowing - its not an internship position, but people have gotten their foot in the door that way. Thus far I've basically learned about payroll, comp + benefits, recruitment and selection, ethics etc. basically, its common sense thrown into a course format. Entry level HR positions are little more than glorified data-entry spots. From what I've seen, HR is separate from the workings of the rest of the company - advancement in HR bumps you up the HR ladder, but not necessarily the company's ladder (decision making, strategic plan, etc) if that makes sense.

Either way, I have to go back to university to finish my degree in order to get the professional designation, so I am looking into getting something worthwhile as opposed to a shit-useless English degree.

4. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Interested in health care at all? It seems like nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, etc are always in demand. Decent money and flexible hours.

5. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Right on. I definitely understand what you mean by HR ladder being completely different from the rest of the company. I see the same structure within the company I'm with. It's too bad that you had a different understanding of HR's function in the corporate world, although I feel like if you would've done more initial research you could have saved yourself the trouble and come to the same conclusion much faster.

From what I can see, you've got a solid opportunity coming up with the mentorship, *especially* if you are able to network effectively. Also, might I ask why you are so averse to business? Not everything in business is math oriented... Since you say that you'd be a good people person, have you considered management role? In a management position or a project manager, while you may have the opportunity to dwell into technical matter, your main focus is in running a team. I don't know... just something to think about. You could certainly start in HR and make a move to the business side if the company allows.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

6. scientific

scientific Senior member

hr is not an academic field, therefore an academic degree in it is worthless. if you're not learning hard skills, all degrees are worthless. just get a job and start hustling

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

HR is definitely a dead end field, as there is no way to break out of the silo. In my experience it is generally staffed by mediocre staff and managers, who know that it's a dead end and don't care, as long as they get a paycheck.

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

+1. I know several people who did career changes into this field and are happy.