• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unwritten rules on returns

Bonggoy

Reaction score
Good morning.

I bought a brand new pair of shoes from a vendor here. It is of a significant discount. He sells a lot of these mid priced shoes. A great service to Styleforum if I may add. Not having a lot of experience about this brand of shoes (I only own a pair), I PMed the vendor about sizing. He adviced me to go to a local shop and try it on first. Of I went to Nordstrom and was told after a brannock device fitting that I am 8E in the shoe that I am interested in.

I proceeded to place an order. A week later, shoes came in. It was a little to big for me. Plus I didn't like the color. Too dark than the one in the picture.

Color is not that important as I can deal with them, that size I can't (unless my feet grows half inch bigger - doubtful or the shoes for some reason shrinks). I politely asked for a replacement.

I was informed no return or replacement is accepted. I replied that it was not mentioned in his advertisements that all sales are final. He then said it is a B&S rules. I checked and it there is no mention of it. He then said it is an unwritten rule.

I accept the responsibility that I should have know the "unwritten rule". But since I am dealing with a (online) vendor who is selling brand new, direct from factory shoes, I expect certain level of service, regardless of how or where it was sold. An unwritten rule of customer service so to speak.

I would also like to add, other than not being able to get an agreement on how to handle the replacement, our conversation has been very cordial.

Any advice on proper way to go about?

Thank you and have a nice day.

kungapa

Reaction score
By buying through B&S you accept the risk of the item not working out for you - it is so to speak the price you pay for the substantial discount you receive.

He took precaution in asking you to try the shoes out before. You did not - instead you relied on a brannock device. I don't see why he should suffer from you not adhering to his suggestion before buying.

As for colour, screen brightness, colour correction and camera settings can all greatly influence what the colour looks like. Simply put, it is another of the vagaries of ordering things online.

And lastly, he stated nothing about returns BEING available. I don't see why the negative as opposed to the positive should be stated, Why didn't you inquire about the possibility of returns before ordering?

In short, suck it up. Resell the shoes.

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The general understanding is that returns are not accepted unless the seller materially misrepresented the item in the listing. Some sellers choose to go above and beyond that but are not obligated to do so.

Frankly, unless you have physically tried on the exact manufacturer and last of a particular shoe, you shouldn't buy it online unless you just have money to burn or are willing to go to the effort of reselling them if (when) they do not fit.

Bonggoy

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies. This is being discussed on another thread as well. The seller and I are trying to negotiate a deal that will be mutually beneficial.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually, you just resell something you bought here. I'll take a return when there's an issue in the product that I consider an unknown defect (happened once) or if I inadvertently misrepresent something (which hasn't happened).

In the case of a pro who's selling new or similar, then it'd be nice if they offered an exchange. Individuals can't be expected to operate like they're a store.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics