1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

unwrikling a rain coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fatherseanfan, Oct 8, 2006.

1. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior member

I have a 100% cotton raincoat (its decent, but not great quality, made by Penguin) that I just washed and it is now wrinkled.

I was wondering if it is OK to iron cotton raincoats, or whether there was a special coating or something on the material that would make ironing not a good idea. I'm worried about shine.

The tag says "warm iron" but I don't want to go ahead without consulting the Forum experts! Any idea? Better to steam, maybe?

2. stach

stach Senior member

3. Rolo

Rolo Senior member

I've heard that ironing helps actually helps restore the water repellancy.

4. Minn

Minn New Member

I'm not sure steam without pressure is enough. If you need the pressure of an iron, use a press cloth to help prevent shine. I was taught that the shine is from over pressing/too much heat. What's a press cloth? A clean piece of of 100% white woven cotton without any chemicals and without any print will do.

5. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Yes. You can iron your coat. ALWAYS use a pressing cloth. Otherwise, you'll singe your fibers. Iron the inside, first. Then, the exterior. You should have a sleeve board, too . . . invaluable, for pressing sleeves, shoulder areas, and cuffs. btw: I always iron both the inside and outside, of my garments. Shirts, especially.