• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unusual foods.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My foray into exotic foods has been limited to shark, swordfish, and buffalo. All of which are very good.

Dormouse

Reaction score
Kani miso is quite a delicacy.

My foray into exotic foods has been limited to shark, swordfish, and buffalo. All of which are very good.
One of my favorites is chicken fried buffalo steak.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In HK dishes, we regularly have roast goose and pigeons as well in addition to roast duck. I wouldn't think it as too outlandish, but prior to being in HK the most interesting dish I had would probably be deer meat. It was one of my favorite dishes, but probably artificially tenderized to a point where meat texture wasn't really representable of the original. Once I had arrived in HK 10 years ago, the weird stuff started to come. For starters, for really regular chinese food we have stewed Chinese Softshell Turtle, Sharksfin is obviously very popular, Fish Maw (The better ones have an extremely interesting texture - extremely gooey, yet still able to retain its own mass), Sea cucumber, Fish Bladder, pork Ears, pork neck, not to mention all the pig innards (intestine, stomach, liver etc), horseshoe crab also probably the most interesting shellfish to behold in person is the - Geoduck (sounds like a pokemon) Of Japanese Sashimi and Sushi - It has come to a point where pretty much anything of the sea is edible? nothing is really too surprising anymore unless its horse meat, or raw beef :p.... The last time I was genuinely surprised was when my GF had went to Japan last week and had a serving of...Fish sperm sushi!...apparently it was delicious.
smile.gif
Out of the really odd things I have had, there was this one trip to China where I had "Water Cockroach". I knew I kept these photos for a reason, A photo of them swimming, you get to choose your food while they are alive to ensure their freshness Them all cooked and juicy. You have to first peel off their legs and wings which are very hard. They were crunchy at first due to their exoskeleton part being fried and all, then their insides had a completely different taste, mushy and savory to the taste and then you have the even more interesting snacks, of which my colleague bought but we never ended up eating. I would say the most odd thing America has are....Chicken waffles. :p

fatty

Reaction score
*enter teh asian*

lobster sashimi, duck "fetus", snails and sea snails, intestines, tongues, stomachs, hearts and livers of various animals. sharkfin, abalone - that stuff rocks. [tonights dinner was crab with egg noodles-southern chinese, barbequed squid, and fried rice.]

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When i was younger, my mum used to make lamb brains fairly frequently. She'd fry them with garlic, and we would eat them with lebanese bread and a bit of lemon juice squeezed over them. We also had lamb tongues, bone marrow; and my dad occasionally still has raw kidney/ liver with salt and pepper.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dormouse
One of my favorites is chicken fried buffalo steak.

I've never had that, which is somewhat suprising considering my family used to own and raise bison. We ate buffalo, prepared in numerous fashions, almost weekly.

King Salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
also probably the most interesting shellfish to behold in person is the - Geoduck (sounds like a pokemon)
Maybe you're thinking of Geodude?
Geodude.png

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am pretty well ready to eat the musclular flesh of almost anything, I jsut really dno't like innards, even of the most common animal.

I've had donkey and pony, monkey, deer, wild boar and a variety of fish and birds. in india, goat is very very common, so I have had that more times that I could imagine.

CBDB

Reaction score
Uhhhh....think I'll have dry saltines and water for lunch. I have fairly "catholic" (read universal) tastes but this thread is working better than Jenny Craig.
snork[1].gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even crackers aren't safe. Think of hardtack, which Civil War troops would sometimes eat in the dark because it was so infested with maggots and weevils. They could feel the bugs squirming in their mouth as they chewed.

Sometimes they would cook the hardtack to kill the bugs, but I'm not sure that's much better.

jkhan720

Reaction score
i've travelled all over the world so i've had a bunch of these 'unusual foods.' the most unusual, and best tasting, was actually human meat (from the thighs) in mongolia.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkhan720
i've travelled all over the world so i've had a bunch of these 'unusual foods.' the most unusual, and best tasting, was actually human meat (from the thighs) in mongolia.

I guess cannibalism wins the thread.
stirpot.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I could probably eat person if it was neccesary for survival or I didn't have to prepare it. I don't know if I could keep sushi in my mouth if I saw the fish it came off of watching me eat it from inside the tank. That just seems a little weird.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am pretty well ready to eat the musclular flesh of almost anything, I jsut really dno't like innards, even of the most common animal.

I've had donkey and pony, monkey, deer, wild boar and a variety of fish and birds. in india, goat is very very common, so I have had that more times that I could imagine.

Is Indian curry goat similiar to Jamaican curry goat?

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardizoomte