• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unusual Deaths

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow

A few highlights (starting from most recent going back).

2008: Abigail Taylor, 6, died nine months after her organs were partially sucked out while sitting on a swimming pool drain. She had several organs replaced in surgery but died later due to the incident.

-I read a short by Chuck Palanhuick A while back that was eerily similar to this except it involved masturbation. I'm pretty sure it came out before the incident.

2007: Kevin Whitrick, a 42-year-old man, committed suicide by hanging himself live on a webcam during an internet chat session.

-I had already heard about this but still, sad, just sad.

2002: Brittanie Cecil, an American 13-year-old hockey fan, died two days after being struck in the head by a hockey puck at a game between the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Calgary Flames at Nationwide Arena.

-How terrible must you feel if something like that happened?

1998: Every player on the visiting soccer team at a game in the Democratic Republic of the Congo was struck by a fork bolt of lightning, killing them all instantly.

-WTF!? Seriously? I suppose that could happen but what a freak 1 in a 6,000,000,000 chance.

1996: Sharon Lopatka, an Internet entrepreneur from Maryland, allegedly solicited a man via the Internet to torture and kill her for the purpose of sexual gratification. Her killer, Robert Fredrick Glass, was convicted of voluntary manslaughter for the homicide.

-Absolutely disgusting. I have read several "internet shorts" that are similar to this and in great, disturbing detail.

1979: Robert Williams, a worker at a Ford Motor Co. plant, was the first known man to be killed by a robot.

-First signs of Judgment Day...

1973: Bruce Lee, a martial arts actor, is thought to have died by a severe allergic reaction to Equagesic. His brain had swollen about 13%. His autopsy was written as "death by misadventure."

-I never understood this one. I'm not one for a conspiracy theory but it always rubbed me as odd to have a man, in prime physical shape, to die by some freak medical reaction. But I'm not a doctor.

1963: ThÃch Quảng Đức, a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, sat down in the middle of a busy intersection in Saigon, covered himself in gasoline, and lit himself on fire, burning himself to death. Đức was protesting President Ngô Đình Diệm's administration for oppressing the Buddhist religion.

-Also well known but what amazes me is that he never cried out or even moved. Amazing will power.

1959: In the Dyatlov Pass incident, Nine ski hikers in the Ural Mountains abandoned their camp in the middle of the night in apparent terror, some clad only in their underwear despite sub-zero weather. Six of the hikers died of hypothermia and three by unexplained fatal injuries. Though the corpses showed no signs of struggle, one victim had a fatal skull fracture, two had major chest fractures (comparable in force to a car accident), and one was missing her tongue. The victims' clothing also contained high levels of radiation. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths, barring entry to the area for years thereafter.

-What the **** happened!? I'm creeped out.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Wow

1959: In the Dyatlov Pass incident, Nine ski hikers in the Ural Mountains abandoned their camp in the middle of the night in apparent terror, some clad only in their underwear despite sub-zero weather. Six of the hikers died of hypothermia and three by unexplained fatal injuries. Though the corpses showed no signs of struggle, one victim had a fatal skull fracture, two had major chest fractures (comparable in force to a car accident), and one was missing her tongue. The victims' clothing also contained high levels of radiation. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths, barring entry to the area for years thereafter.

-What the **** happened!? I'm creeped out.

Sounds like a bad ass horror film.

dave

Reaction score
There's the ever-dramatic Yukio Mishima. (This has fascinated me for years)

-from Wikipedia-

On November 25, 1970, Mishima and four members of the Tatenokai, under pretext, visited the commandant of the Ichigaya Camp"”the Tokyo headquarters of the Eastern Command of Japan's Self-Defense Forces.[4] Inside, they barricaded the office and tied the commandant to his chair. With a prepared manifesto and banner listing their demands, Mishima stepped onto the balcony to address the soldiers gathered below. His speech was intended to inspire a coup d'etat restoring the powers of the emperor. He succeeded only in irritating them, however, and was mocked and jeered. He finished his planned speech after a few minutes, returned to the commandant's office and committed seppuku. The customary kaishakunin duty at the end of this ritual had been assigned to Tatenokai member Masakatsu Morita, but Morita was unable to properly perform the task: after several attempts, he allowed another Tatenokai member, Hiroyasu Koga, to behead Mishima.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try visiting the darwin awards website, plenty of unusual and stupid deaths to go around...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
There's the ever-dramatic Yukio Mishima. (This has fascinated me for years)

-from Wikipedia-

On November 25, 1970, Mishima and four members of the Tatenokai, under pretext, visited the commandant of the Ichigaya Camp"”the Tokyo headquarters of the Eastern Command of Japan's Self-Defense Forces.[4] Inside, they barricaded the office and tied the commandant to his chair. With a prepared manifesto and banner listing their demands, Mishima stepped onto the balcony to address the soldiers gathered below. His speech was intended to inspire a coup d'etat restoring the powers of the emperor. He succeeded only in irritating them, however, and was mocked and jeered. He finished his planned speech after a few minutes, returned to the commandant's office and committed seppuku. The customary kaishakunin duty at the end of this ritual had been assigned to Tatenokai member Masakatsu Morita, but Morita was unable to properly perform the task: after several attempts, he allowed another Tatenokai member, Hiroyasu Koga, to behead Mishima.

That sounds rather gruesome. Several failed attempts at ritual beheading???

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Wow

A few highlights (starting from most recent going back).

2008: Abigail Taylor, 6, died nine months after her organs were partially sucked out while sitting on a swimming pool drain. She had several organs replaced in surgery but died later due to the incident.

-I read a short by Chuck Palanhuick A while back that was eerily similar to this except it involved masturbation. I'm pretty sure it came out before the incident.

There was a 20/20 (IIRC) special on this a few years ago. They said it's actually a lot more common than one would think. Apparently it happens a few times a year in hot tubs and swimming pools. It's resulted in death and serious injuries.

Nevertheless, it's still a crazy way to die.

Originally Posted by Lel

2007: Kevin Whitrick, a 42-year-old man, committed suicide by hanging himself live on a webcam during an internet chat session.

-I had already heard about this but still, sad, just sad.

This reminds me of some guy on some random message board who was running a web cam while he did crazy amounts of drugs. He then accidentally overdosed and died in front of the viewers.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Wow

1998: Every player on the visiting soccer team at a game in the Democratic Republic of the Congo was struck by a fork bolt of lightning, killing them all instantly.

-WTF!? Seriously? I suppose that could happen but what a freak 1 in a 6,000,000,000 chance.

Saw something similar on RealTV, the lightning struck a wet field, and electrocuted all the players indirectly through the wet ground. I didn't think they died though, but did suffer burns and things like vertigo and headaches for awhile after.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads