• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Untucked shirts

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
A slim shirt, tucked into jeans with the sleeves rolled up above the elbows can look sharp.

Quoted for truth... I do wear a lot of shirts tucked in. I think it compliments your silhouette, if done right. In dutch it's called "getailleerd", but I guess tapered is the right word for the shirts I'm wearing. Without it, or not tucking in I look like a tipi/wigwam.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few RRL flannels that are too long on me. I usually just tuck them in.
Has anybody successfully had a tailor shorten a button down?

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being that your from Philly any tailor recommendations?

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Most shirts that fit nice and slim tucked in look weird untucked. There is usually too much waist suppression or something which is great when tucked in so you don't have as much bubbling at the waist but looks odd when untucked despite being "slim." I know everyone loves to bag on BoO for being tailored jcrew or what not but i honestly have not seen a shirt really look as good untcuked (including epaulet, tailored jcrew and other mid-end brands). The stomach/waist area look natural and slim but not too slim (which is what i see with a lot of shortened slim fit shirts supposed to be untucked including epaulet to an extent but they look great tucked)

Yeah, exactly. Recently got an Epaulet flannel, really nice shirt but I had it in my head that I would wear it untucked. Did that a few times and it just was not right, too nipped in at the waist I think. Was about to put with the give away stuff and then tried it tucked, definitely much much better.

everybodynobody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Yah, brah, I'll meet you at the sports bar with my frat boy buds in our untucked dress shirts! Party on! Woo hoo!
I'm not into sports and don't drink. I've also never been a member of a fraternal organization. What a shame I won't be able to join you and the other untucked shirt brawhs.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark_Y
White pants has douchbag written all over. Even more so if they're sheer.

i dont think most douchebags are secure enough with their masculinity to wear white pants

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Tucking with rolled sleeves looks boss. Sleeves look better rolled unless you're wearing a jacket imo. If you're untucked, it should be because you're so hot and sweaty you don't give a ****. Probably unbuttoned all the way down to your little navel. Mmmhmm... yeah.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Being that your from Philly any tailor recommendations?

Yo.

I use an amazing guy down on Front and Chestnut - Steve's Tailors. Steve's your man. I've gotten everything from jeans tapered, leather stuff re-worked, to my vintage peacoat re-lined there. All the chick boutiques in that area refer to him, and even the Old City tattoo guys use him. He's South Philly paesan, and knows his stuff and will take very good care of you.

105 Chestnut. 215-427-2550.

He can do your shirts, but can't chainstitch. If he did I'd be in heaven.

randomusername

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BioSore
Another thing you have to recall is torso placement and size. I have relatively large legs in comparison to my torso and even with low-rise jeans a tucked-in shirt forces attention to the proportions. For this reason, unless I am wearing a vest, cardigan, jacket, etc. over the shirt I strongly tend towards untucked, espeially with a shaped hem.

I'm similar to you - long legs, relatively short torso, but I find that curved hems draw the eye upward and make one's legs seem longer. I guess the solution would ultimately be to have a long, slim, shirt with a straight hem, but I've never come across one that works. J. Crew comes to a good length at the bottom-most part, but the curve is big enough on the sides to make one's legs seem like stilts. Now, if I could only find a shirt which matched the criteria I mentioned
confused.gif

untuckit

Reaction score
We know how uncomfortable a shirt tucked in can be, as well as how ridiculous an untucked shirt can look. Thankfully at UNTUCKit, we solved this well-documented problem in men's fashion and created shirts designed to be worn untucked.

We designed our shirts so that the front falls halfway between the belt and the bottom of the zipper, allowing the front pocket on the pant (or short) to be partially exposed. Now, there is height or body restrictions preventing you from looking good. Although meant for life outside the boardroom, our fabric rivals any found IN the boardroom with the highest quality 100% Egyptian cotton and thread counts ranging from 120 to 180.

UNTUCKit is comfortable, durable and best yet -- fashionable. Come check out our newest UNTUCKit Fall 2011 Collection and see how UNTUCKit is the right fit for you!

kmarz7

Reaction score
I wear shirts from UNTUCKit.com for all things outside the office. I highly reccomend that you all should check out the site.

name

Reaction score
I understand UNTUCKit made a mistake by bad marketing and spamming the forum. However I have found his site by Google (good ranking for untucked shirt), then got to this thread.

This picture is interesting, from his site:

Basically what I am after is the Holy Grail: a shirt length that can be worn either tucked in or untucked according to my liking with low rise pants (such as the Levi's 511). What have you found in your similar research? Will it work?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads