1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Untucked shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by modual, Sep 15, 2009.

1. DLester

DLester Senior member

Deciding when to tuck and when not to requires judgment that is widely lacking.

Men's Wearhouse ran an ad a few years back encouraging people to untuck because it was hip (don't know why they would encourage that, as they sell suits). Made me cringe. I am sure this encouraged legions of people to untuck their mumu-sized office shirts.

Generally I tuck in these days to distinguish myself from the "i AM SOO GONNA PARTY 2NIGHT WITH MAH DOUCHEBUDS!?!!" crowd.

2. Robert

Robert Senior member

Generally, if you're the douchebag type, you won't have the sense to know whether or not to tuck.

If you're not the douchebag type, chances are you'll be able to tell when it's appropriate or not.

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Men's Wearhouse ran an ad a few years back encouraging people to untuck because it was hip (don't know why they would encourage that, as they sell suits). Made me cringe. I am sure this encouraged legions of people to untuck their mumu-sized office shirts.

Generally I tuck in these days to distinguish myself from the "i AM SOO GONNA PARTY 2NIGHT WITH MAH DOUCHEBUDS!?!!" crowd.

Worthy. Tuck it to say fuck it.

Yo, get your skanky girlfriend and her tramp-stamped friends and lets par-tay over at the irish pub nightclub with my brahs. I'll pick you up in my 325i. The silver one. We'll meet up after the gym. Gotta run home and spike my hair first.

4. Robert

Robert Senior member

I'm going to a bar after work with some dude coworkers. We're distinguishing ourselves as not douchebags by going to a brewpub that does NOT have a TV, by wearing our shirts tucked in (I'm wearing a button-down tiny-gingham check longsleeve tucked into white chinos with a navy cardigan), and by arriving in my 1999 Lexus sedan.

We are decidely under the radar.

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I'm going to a bar after work with some dude coworkers. We're distinguishing ourselves as not douchebags by going to a brewpub that does NOT have a TV, by wearing our shirts tucked in (I'm wearing a button-down tiny-gingham check longsleeve tucked into white chinos with a navy cardigan), and by arriving in my 1999 Lexus sedan.

We are decidely under the radar.

White after Labor day? I'm so not hanging with you.

6. Robert

Robert Senior member

Yep. I bet I'm the only dude in town wearing white pants today.

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Rebel.

8. Robert

Robert Senior member

I also crimped the hems up about a half inch.

9. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

White pants has douchbag written all over. Even more so if they're sheer.

10. timpoblete

timpoblete Senior member

There's a time and a place for untucked shirts. The time is never. You figure out the place.

11. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Yea, nothing is sloppier than the guys in their "going out shirts" where it's just a striped dress shirt untucked down below their ass. Smh...

Also known as the Vegas Uniform...

12. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

[​IMG]
    There's a time and a place for untucked shirts. The time is never. You figure out the place.

13. everybodynobody

everybodynobody Senior member

It depends on the occasion.

Work and formal events: tucked
    Everything else: untucked

14. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Most shirts that fit nice and slim tucked in look weird untucked. There is usually too much waist suppression or something which is great when tucked in so you don't have as much bubbling at the waist but looks odd when untucked despite being &quot;slim.&quot; I know everyone loves to bag on BoO for being tailored jcrew or what not but i honestly have not seen a shirt really look as good untcuked (including epaulet, tailored jcrew and other mid-end brands). The stomach/waist area look natural and slim but not too slim (which is what i see with a lot of shortened slim fit shirts supposed to be untucked including epaulet to an extent but they look great tucked)

15. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

I've learned a lot from this thread. If you tuck you are an uptight old geezer and if you don't you are a club-hopping douchebag. I sometimes tuck and sometimes don't so I guess I am an old uptight douchebag.

16. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've been tucking more and more lately. Even doing the old man shit like tucking in henleys. Just works better on me with my proportions. Untucked shirts take away too much height from my legs.

17. dunelly

dunelly Senior member

I used to untuck a lot. Now i see that having a tucked shirt without the top button + rolled up sleeves is a lot more casual and porportionate looking.
    untucked just looks weird with a long shirt
    the shirt has to be really fitted well if you're tucking it in for a casual look

18. BioSore

BioSore Well-Known Member

Another thing you have to recall is torso placement and size. I have relatively large legs in comparison to my torso and even with low-rise jeans a tucked-in shirt forces attention to the proportions. For this reason, unless I am wearing a vest, cardigan, jacket, etc. over the shirt I strongly tend towards untucked, espeially with a shaped hem.

19. Robert

Robert Senior member

It depends on the occasion.

Work and formal events: tucked
    Everything else: untucked

Yah, brah, I'll meet you at the sports bar with my frat boy buds in our untucked dress shirts! Party on! Woo hoo!

20. Robert

Robert Senior member

White pants has douchbag written all over. Even more so if they're sheer.

Nope, wrong. You fail.