Untucked shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by modual, Sep 15, 2009.

1. modual

modual Senior member

When wearing jeans do untucked shirts work better with a straight or shaped hem ?

2. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

I don't like straight hem

3. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^Imo it works best with a shaped hem with gussets, ala EG, because the shirt drapes or hangs better, rather than "tent out" like a regular shirt hem can do if theres not alof of tapering. On second place, id say straight hem, but that only works with the right kind of shirts.

4. modual

modual Senior member

^^Imo it works best with a shaped hem with gussets, ala EG, because the shirt drapes or hangs better, rather than "tent out" like a regular shirt hem can do if theres not alof of tapering. On second place, id say straight hem, but that only works with the right kind of shirts.

Bobo can you elaborate on what kind of straight hem shirts will work

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^ "camp", some kinds of flannels, hawaii shirts etc

But in reality, if the shirt tail isnt insanly long, I thing reg styles work aswell, even though I usually tuck those.

6. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Senior member

Bobo can you elaborate on what kind of straight hem shirts will work

I'm not Bobo but check out the Odin x EG Madras pullover shirt. And no they don't have any left [​IMG]

7. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Senior member

8. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Originally, the curved hem was made to be tucked in or maybe the straight hem was created so shirt wouldn't have to be tucked in. One of those was made so it looks better untucked. Almost all of my shirts have curved hems and I wear them untucked. You can get your shirts shortened if they're too long.

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

10. Robert

Robert Senior member

I am an old man and I tuck in any l/s button-down shirt that has shaped tail.

But I never tuck polos, tees, sweaters, or straight hems; and I never wear black socks with shorts. In fact, I never wear shorts.

11. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Senior member

When wearing jeans do untucked shirts work better with a straight or shaped hem ?

I'd also add some linen shirts in the "straight hem" category. Another group is those shirts that have an exaggerated shaped hem and/or are really long.

I had a couple of shirts altered to be straight hem and they are okay, but I probably won't have any others done.

12. felixx

felixx New Member

OK, I have some shirts you can wear with a tie or as a sport shirt and I want to know if it's ok to wear them untucked and if so must it be buttoned or unbuttoned. I usually play it by shirt so if it is just too long untucked I find an alternative. I like wearing them either button or unbuttoned whichever looks better but, my wife insists that it's unfashionable to wear open ...What do you think?

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

tucking your shirt in is for old men

A) 9 B) 8 C) 4

Learn from your elders ...

I am an old man and I tuck in any l/s button-down shirt that has shaped tail.

But I never tuck polos, tees, sweaters, or straight hems; and I never wear black socks with shorts. In fact, I never wear shorts.

Me too. I'd be dead if I lived in Logans Run. Tucking in button-down shirts is not 'old-man' per-se and totally about how you rock it. Might be an East Coast/West Coast debate.

Frankly, I take many of my styling cues from workwear and 40's/50's traditions. A man never left the house without tucking in unless he was going to the beach or going bowling. Or lived in Cuba.

A slim shirt, tucked into jeans with the sleeves rolled up above the elbows can look sharp.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^^ +1

Tuckers ruckers aint no fuckers

untucking is for scruffs. except for 50s style shirt jacs which cant be tucked.

15. word

word Senior member

OK, I have some shirts you can wear with a tie or as a sport shirt and I want to know if it's ok to wear them untucked and if so must it be buttoned or unbuttoned. I usually play it by shirt so if it is just too long untucked I find an alternative. I like wearing them either button or unbuttoned whichever looks better but, my wife insists that it's unfashionable to wear open ...What do you think?
    If the tail is covering up your entire arse, tuck it in or tailor it shorter to wear untucked. A good untucked length is when the tail of the shirt stops somewhere between your belt (or where it would be) and the back pockets. It will still look sloppy unless the shirt is super casual. When you say unbuttoned do you mean with every button undone?(I hope not) Or just the top one or two?