• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

untucked shirts with jeans

thelakes

Reaction score
The title is how i dress casually when not wearing a pull-over or T. I was wondering if there were any brands that were meant to be worn untucked. I am rather broad of shoulder so BR etc. when they fit, fit like sails. Was wondering what brands to look at on some upcoming trips. A.P.C or agnes B. I was thinking of. Thats about the limit of what I am willing to spend since I dont want to flip out if I spill beer on it. I have about a 17.5 neck. I haveone shirt that fits really well its a bcbg shirt but i dont think he makes mens clothes anymore.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think any particular brand is meant to be worn untucked. Instead, go by what the shirt itself looks like.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think any particular brand is meant to be worn untucked. Instead, go by what the shirt itself looks like.

True. That said, Costume National shirts tend to have shorter tails. And there are specific brands which specialize in shirts to be worn untucked - Steven Alan and Band of Outsiders come immediately to mind.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
in *my* rulebook a shirt should be tucked in unless it has a squared off bottom, in which case it's intended to be left untucked. since you mentioned Agnes b, i do have a dark blue s/s shirt with said squared bottom that looks good untucked.

dunno if you know about these, but as far as untucked shirts go, i really dig vintage 50s/60s shirtjacs where they are cut very short (usually only about 24-6" from top of collar to waist hem) and obviously meant to be worn untucked. the 50s one are usually made of a nice drape-y rayon gabardine that is one of my fave shirt fabrics, the 60s shirts are nice if you find them in a sweater style made of acrylic or orlon but the polyester ones need to be avoided.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Dries Van Noten, Martin Margiela both make shirts with short ends.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in *my* rulebook a shirt should be tucked in unless it has a squared off bottom, in which case it's intended to be left untucked.

I actually like untucked shirts to have shorter shirt hem bottom rather than a squared off buttom, which to my mind, looks sort of awkward and, well, too angular (there are exceptions). The whole idea of the untucked shirts (imo) is that design was taken from a design meant to be worn tucked and adopted to look good untucked, a sort of subversion of traditional design and functionaliyy - like wearing military surplus jackets with jeans and sneakers.

Lydia

Reaction score
 The whole idea of the untucked shirts (imo) is that design was taken from a design meant to be worn tucked and adopted to look good untucked, a sort of subversion of traditional design and functionaliyy
This is clearly true. Maybe this style will help all those [seemingly short-legged] buffoons wearing normal dress shirts untucked.

The problem for me, is finding a shirt that is slim enough which also has long arms. I've had made-to-measure. But this usually ends up being a little too stiff and dress-shirt like. I suppose I could instruct them to make it in a certain way, but well...Any ideas? Dries van is good, but pretty expensive.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Lydia, older Jil Sander shirts are very fitted and come in normal dress shirt sizes with proper sleeve lengths. They pop up on eBay from time to time. That's all I can think of though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
in *my* rulebook a shirt should be tucked in unless it has a squared off bottom, in which case it's intended to be left untucked.
I actually like untucked shirts to have shorter shirt hem bottom rather than a squared off buttom, which to my mind, looks sort of awkward and, well, too angular (there are exceptions).
I completely agree.

Charles Rogers

Reaction score
I can't stand squared off shirts. To bolwling-lane-esqe for me. They always seem like they should have a dragon, flames, or flaming dice on them.

Dill

Reaction score
I can't stand squared off shirts. To bolwling-lane-esqe for me. They always seem like they should have a dragon, flames, or flaming dice on them.
Or flaming dragons rolling flaming dice

diamonds

Reaction score
Yes yes spam is delish!
spam[1].gif

ayn

Reaction score
flat head shirts are short so i think they're meant to be worn untucked...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads