• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Untucked shirt and tie

uzairh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonHecht
I was thinking of wearing an untucked Grey shirt with a blueish skinny tie and jeans tomorrow. This is just to hang out on campus, so it's not as though I need to be formal. Is an untucked shirt + tie a no no?

I would never even think about it.
Try rolling up your sleeves, and wear a waistcoat/vest with the shirt tucked in and the tie very close to the collar, keeping the collar button undone.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
People do it, and I find most people on campus won't really care what you're wearing. It's not like its a situation where a certain type of dress is expected and you're deviating from it. People wear sweat pants and gum boots on campus, so you can get away with anything you want.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear whatever you want, its just a campus, not a job interview.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
Off campus it's a cardinal sin.

Untucked shirt + tie or tie + jeans? Untucked shirt I've always thought looked more like the person was getting hot or uncomfortable and is relaxing later in the day (say after lunch), while a tie with jeans doesn't really make sense unless it's a fashion statement.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by masqueofhastur
Untucked shirt + tie or tie + jeans? Untucked shirt I've always thought looked more like the person was getting hot or uncomfortable and is relaxing later in the day (say after lunch), while a tie with jeans doesn't really make sense unless it's a fashion statement.

I do agree with you on the tie with jeans part but it is something I don't do personally and it doesn't annoy me. I was referring to the untucked shirt and tie combination. It is just too sloppy and defeats the purpose of wearing a tie to begin with (partially anyway). I'm often reminded of younger guys who, half way through the evening of an event all suddenly believe it's okay to loose the jacket, untuck their shirts, and have the knots of their ties hang midway along their torso.

To me it makes more sense to leave looking almost exactly the same way you came in.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
I would expect in general if the suit fits well that it wouldn't be uncomfortable, and would also be picked to fit the weather, so odds are if someone has the tie loosened and the shirt untucked they're probably wearing a suit to begin with that doesn't look all that great on them. I remember going to a wedding where almost everyone was wearing a suit, but all of those who were, save two, looked ridiculous in them, clearly a suit they'd just bought because it was expected at a wedding. At that point you can't really make it look any worse by untucking the shirt or undoing the tie.

laphroaig

Reaction score
I would rather kill myself.
bigstar[1].gif
I can't brag. My campus uniform used to be threadbare torn jeans, freebie threadbare tshirts with advertising all over them, and awfull sneakers.
blush.gif

IBJanky

Reaction score
That look is so sloppy.

But then again, you're in campus, so everyone else is pretty sloppy.

myke

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because you can, doesn't mean you shouldn't. It's the dress uniform of douches everywhere.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
I've done it many times on the public commute home from a long day that included overtime.
By that time of day, and being exhausted, I just don't give a damn what anyone thinks anyway.
Do what's comfortable when your duty is done and you're on your own time.
Since you are on campus, maybe do it at the end of the school day if you really must.
Mess up your hair too just for extra effect.
At least let them see you do it right (tucked & tied) during school hours.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, a shirt and tie is a no no. A tie is a formal accesory and not suited to be worn in such a casual way. I suggest tucking in the shirt with a belt, since your wearing jeans it will not look toformal but not tucking it in will make you look like a fool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads