• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

until what age do your kids believe in Santa Claus?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am scared that my son is going to be the one that tells his classmates that santa claus doens't exist. I have had a few talks with him about it, but it isn't that easy to say "well, your friends believe in a non-existing figure but we shouldn't tell them that he is fictional, because their parents get enjoyment out of their innocent belief in fictional creatures".

so, at what age to I have to stop worrying about this?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am scared that my son is going to be the one that tells his classmates that santa claus doens't exist. I have had a few talks with him about it, but it isn't that easy to say "well, your friends believe in a non-existing figure but we shouldn't tell them that he is fictional, because their parents get enjoyment out of their innocent belief in fictional creatures".

I never believed in Santa Claus but according to studies (yeah I know) loosing that illusion comes naturally (they know or suspect before you tell them) so I wouldn't try to force anything on your son, his comrades will believe he's right at some point (when they're ready) and deny it before...

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My cousin is going to be 11 in about a month and he still believes in santa. In my opinion thats far too long, I think at 4 they should find out.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still believe in Santa Claus.

Seriously.

Not that I believe he makes and brings toys to all the children in the world, but rather in the spirit of giving, charity and inate goodness. Santa is a symbol of what I aspire to.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
My 8 year old was told she had lost her christmas spirit because she doesn't believe in Santa.

We told her from the start that Santa wasn't real. He's just a dirty old perv in a badly chosen suit, "her little child, come sit on Santa's lap"

EDIT: No offense intended Dakota.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I still believe in Santa Claus.

Seriously.

Not that I believe he makes and brings toys to all the children in the world, but rather in the spirit of giving, charity and inate goodness. Santa is a symbol of what I aspire to.

That's really sweet. Bordering on teh ****, sure, but still sweet.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember telling people in 1st grade that Santa wasn't real. I also remember getting in a bit of trouble for that and not being able to understand why people wanted to believe in an illusion.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
That's really sweet. Bordering on teh ****, sure, but still sweet.
Yeah, that's me. And it gets me lots of teh tang.
laugh.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I remember telling people in 1st grade that Santa wasn't real. I also remember getting in a bit of trouble for that and not being able to understand why people wanted to believe in an illusion.

Me too, comparing him to God to illustrate my point sure didn't help.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Me too, comparing him to God to illustrate my point sure didn't help.

I have a friend who puts on a Santa hat on Christmas day and listens to Christmas carols for a week or two before Christmas. I have a feeling I missed out on this and other 'childhood' things that I completely do not understand..

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my 6 and 4 year olds believe. my 9 yo is on the fence. i believed until i was 13. srsly. my grandfather was very convincing as santa. spent a lot of $ on the beard/hair/costume. i caufght him getting dressed up when i was 13. broke my heart. and his.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^This speaks volumes on your parenting skills and your character. Your children are blessed.

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
My cousin is going to be 11 in about a month and he still believes in santa. In my opinion thats far too long, I think at 4 they should find out.

My daughter is 11 and still believes. I honestly think at this point she must know and is just in it for the extra goodies.

Am I smarter than a fifth grader? It seems not.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stopped believing in 3rd grade prolly. Damn kids at school ruining the surprise. Not to mention santas note to us was in moms handwriting. Either way, I faked it for a few more years, not understanding that you get presents regardless.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

Same age most decent kids figure out that god is a delusion.

From a very very young age I knew it was bullshit but I loved the atmosphere and I kept my mouth shut. It was done by my grandpa (he was always santa), and I even helped him hide gifts and everything, including keeping the illusion alive for the other kids. My younger brother was into it until about 9 and I never told him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads