• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unsure of fits on 36 (bigger dudes help me out)

Brown Magic

Reaction score
Yo, I'm 6'1'' and around 2 and a quarter.

You may find this newbish, but I came here for answers that I think I will be able to get.

I have a pair of Sevens relaxed cut that are pretty loose on me. I have a pair of William Rast Billy Flare in 34 that fit fine, and a pair of True Relgions (36) that I am currently trying to break in.

But I have been really attracted to raw denim, and really want a pair.

Having said that, all of my jeans fit differently, but I rarely see any talk about the above brands, so I can't really base my online purchases on any empirical information I have found.

I am most interested in getting some Nudie Straight Svens, or something similar.

Bigger guys, can you give me an idea on the fit of Nudies, APC, etc. compared to the more mainstream brands? I don't want ultra skinny jeans because it looks silly on a big guy, and I am borderline skinnying it right now. The Nudies looked like they weren't too skinny, but you can never be sure in pictures.

Thanks for the help

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey man, welcome. I'm a 35-36 waist in most pants (dunno my tape-measure waist), and I happened to try on a bunch of jeans today.

If you're interested in Nudies, their fit guide is helpful.

The Regular Ralf and Sven won't look weird on a guy your size. I would say the 7fam relaxed and Ralfs are similarly sized, as far as waist. I can wear a 34 in Ralfs, though they'd be a little tight. Like 7s, they're slim (but not tight) in the thigh, and relaxed below the knee (though not as pronounced a bootcut as 7s). Though the rise is a little higher, they probably sit about the same place. However, the Ralfs do not hug yr ass at all, and the pockets sit low. See the fit guide; my 36s fit me almost exactly like their fit model's.

The Svens are generally supposed to be slimmer than Ralfs, but I'm not sure that checks out in the larger sizes. Slightly lower rise than the Ralfs, and run a little truer to size--I tried on 34 svens and they were quite tight in the waist, though I could button them. 36 is perfect in the waist. Thigh may be slightly looser than Ralf, but straight from the knee down. FWIW, the leg opening of 36 Svens was exactly the same as the leg opening on the 36 Ralfs.

APC new standards are slightly tapered, but look straight when worn (not a carrot leg). I can go down to 33 in New Standard and not be uncomfortable, and 34's are not tight. The rescue is looser, and truly straight, but I can't offer sizing help as I've never tried em on.

Keep in mind, when these jeans are new, assuming you buy them dry, the may seem stiff and unforgiving. They soften up and stretch reliably. Good luck!

Max

Reaction score
I'd whip out the tape measure and get your actual waist (2" below navel). Keep in mind that a pair tagged as 36 usually measures out to about a 37 or 38.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, that depends a lot on the brand/cut. I tried on, no joke, a dozen pairs (apologies to Denim Bar employees who have to reshelve stuff) and the waist measurement difference between a 36 RRDS and JR cali is probably 3 inches. The RRDS is probably 37-38, and the the JRs like 35, maximum. Edit, not that you shldn't know your genuine waist msmt.

Brown Magic

Reaction score
Hey.... Thanks, those replies helped a lot. I think my true size is 35'' if I was to guess.... I am planning on getting them dry, but thats because I want to break in denim the old fashioned way instead of getting it in that wash (although some washes are good looking, many people get the exaggerated honeycombed/worn washes) because I have really started to notice the difference of how good real denim looks on a person. Anyways, any more replies are welcome! Now its time to try and find the best deals.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
(shoreman-you share the same birthday as my mom haha)

bk4

Reaction score
Does the New Standard look good on somebody with a 34" waist? I'm in the boat of trying to decide between the New Standard and Rescue, and I worry about the Rescue being too baggy. I would normally try them on, but alas, there is nowhere anywhere remotely near me that sells APC.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brown Magic, I think the Sven is a pretty good choice, I would also look at the Rag & Bone RB6, 5EP Low Down Boot or Straight Zip, RRDS, APC New Standard or Rescue. All of these seem great (I'm a 35 true waist as well) Also, if you're interested in a great deal on an awesome pair of jeans, I sold my 5EP Straight Zips in 34x 32 to deaddog and I believe he wants to resell them. You may want to PM him if you're interested, they're a true 36 waist. I believe he's looking for $120-130 shipped for them but you'd have to discuss that with him yourself. Here's a picture of me wearing the 5EP straight zip in 34x32. For reference I'm 6'2, 220 and pretty muscular.
outfit7yh5.jpg

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bk4
Does the New Standard look good on somebody with a 34" waist? I'm in the boat of trying to decide between the New Standard and Rescue, and I worry about the Rescue being too baggy. I would normally try them on, but alas, there is nowhere anywhere remotely near me that sells APC.
The Rescue will not be baggy, especially if you have some size to your legs. It's a slim straight-cut jean, with a much more forgiving cut than the NS. To give you an idea here is a pic of my Rescue's:
dscn1842da3.jpg

I'm about 6'2" and in this photo 175lbs, the jeans are a 32. I have fairly muscular legs though so I fill out the thigh and butt of the jeans and the waist is loose. I usually end up with 34" pants and get the waist taken in. If I were to buy them again I would go down to a 31. Hope that helps.

Brown Magic

Reaction score
Well it seems that in most cases, I would be safest getting 36, - (I used to be a 38 and 40) because most 36's sit on my bones just write, if not a little loose, or a little snug depending on the brand, however if I can find a 35 I would take it, otherwise think hard about a 34)
And once broken in, they feel fine even if uncomfortable for the first couple wears.
My 7s were a little snug when I first got them, and now they are quite loose..however I am in the process of a warm soak+air dry to shrink them down already.

This info has been very helpful....I need to sleep on it, hah

bk4

Reaction score
Aaron-

Thanks a lot. The fit of those Rescues is just what I am looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics