• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unstructured suit, before and after

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit 1/20/2011 - Scroll down for the after pics.

Original post 12/9/2010 -

I know the suit doesn't fit. At all. This will be fixed. This thread will be a sort of a catalogue of the tailoring of the suit. More directly:

Freely share your ideas/thoughts on how an unstructured suit should fit.

The original post:

This is my first unconstructed suit, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I want it to fit.

Currently, it's a bit big, and a little long. This I realize. But my tailor can work crazy voodoo with a needle, and truth be told, this one doesn't have to fit perfectly, as it'll be worn casually, and when I'm feeling fat.

Here's what I'd like to have done:

Take in the shoulders
Slight waist suppression
Raise the bottom patch pockets 1.5"
Raise the top patch pocket 1" - not 100% sure about this one.
Shorten the jacket 1.5"
Shorten the sleeves

As for the pants - I'll either have suspender buttons put in for the ultimate comfort, or have the tailor make side tabs with the extra material. Not sure yet.

Thoughts?

IMG_1460%20%281%29.jpg

IMG_1456%20%281%29.jpg
IMG_1457%20%281%29.jpg

IMG_1458%20%281%29.jpg
IMG_1459%20%281%29.jpg

After alterations:

P1060406.jpg

P1060446.jpg

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It fits like a lab coat. It seems to be at least a full size too big.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. I've made notations as to what I'd like to fix. What are your thoughts on tailoring unstructured suits? Soft? Is less more?

Steeze

Reaction score
Ask yourself this question. If Isaia didn't make the garment would you even bother? It doesn't seem to be your size.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw

+1. Not good. Awful even.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
laugh.gif
agreed. Does anyone have experience with unstructured suits, or opinions on how they should look? @Steeze: I bought it because it's an unstructured suit, and is cozy. The maker, at least in this case, is inconsequential.

Lear

Reaction score
I bought a totally unstructured linen jacket (made by J. Keydge) a while back. Got it from the lovely people at J. Simons, when they were next to Drury Lane, London. Anyway, it sits on me like a tent that's had the poles removed. Even for a size 60 Euro (UK 50), it's pretty roomy. It now gets worn on my summer walks to the gym.

Lear

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You look like one of those dudes that work on the floor of the NYSE!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Edited for clarity:

I know the suit doesn't fit. At all. This will be fixed. This thread will be a sort of a catalogue of the tailoring of the suit. More directly:

Freely share your ideas/thoughts on how an unstructured suit should fit.

The original post:

This is my first unconstructed suit, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I want it to fit.

Currently, it's a bit big, and a little long. This I realize. But my tailor can work crazy voodoo with a needle, and truth be told, this one doesn't have to fit perfectly, as it'll be worn casually, and when I'm feeling fat.

Take in the shoulders
Slight waist suppression
Shorten the jacket 1.5"
Shorten the sleeves

As for the pants - I'll either have suspender buttons put in for the ultimate comfort, or have the tailor make side tabs with the extra material. Not sure yet.

After all tailoring is complete, douse with gasoline and ignite!

Thoughts?

Fixed!!!

Macallan

Reaction score

Return it. Get a suit at least one size smaller, I think you will probably need to drop two sizes and then let your tailor do his 'crazy voodoo' magic.

Take in the shoulders
Slight waist suppression
Shorten the jacket 1.5"
Shorten the sleeves

Too much work for a casual suit. If you got a suit that fit better, you will only need to get half that work done, if not less.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The catalyst was this post from Will's blog. I too felt like experimenting, and if it leads me to only wear the jacket as pajamas, at least they'll have pockets
smile.gif

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw

Sorry dude, but my first thought was " that looks like **** " Something you only wear outside, when you take the dog out to pinch a loaf, and only when it's dark.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No reason why a completely unlined/unstructured jacket should fit any different from a structured counterpart.

Provided you have an excellent tailor, everything is do-able.

Shoulder can be decreased, pockets moved (beware of stitch marks though).

What's going on with that horizontal line across the back?

You said this is part of a suit?
confused.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
What's going on with that horizontal line across the back?

It has a yoke, like a shirt. This could be just a styling touch or it could be to improve the fit across the back without using ironwork or easing like would be usual for a coat. Not that it's succeeded in this case...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads