• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unstructured sports jacket: Hand wash? Really?

mlstein

Reaction score
This sounds like a no brainer but it it is not. I recently bought a lovely Donegal sports jacket by Tombolini. It's totally unstructured and is made of a Loro Piana fabric that's 60% wool, 30% cotton, and the remainder cashmere and silk. (It's every bit as soft as it sounds.) The care label's symbols dictate hand wash and medium iron, no drier, and no dry cleaning.

My tailor is dubious. He's sure that dry cleaning is the only option. Me, I'm a lawyer, and i believe in following the rules. (No jokes, please.) Does anyone out there have any experience to share?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You bought what is basically a cardigan, so I would follow the instructions and wash it like a cardigan.

Bromley

Reaction score
Agreed.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The mills have been developing washable cloth which would previously have been dry-clean only. The more important part is the interlining used; if the manufacturer has used washable interlinings and findings there should be no problem. Zegna has been making machine-washable suits for some time now.

mlstein

Reaction score
Thanks and hi to a fellow Rochesterian! How nice to click on your link and see the Hickey Freeman Temple!

Last edited:

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks and hi to a fellow Rochesterian! How nice to click on your link and see the Hickey freeman Temple!
I've been digging around in the basement and backs of closets and a few vaults we have in the building. Been finding lots of cool stuff!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.