• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unstructured Sport Coat Suggestions

aperson

Reaction score
I bought an LBM 1911 in a sz. 50 (I usually wear 40 US, so it sounded right). The shoulders were way too wide (about an inch on either side), and I couldn't get the sleeves short enough at the shoulder without making the arms too narrow. I ordered a Boglioli from yoox that should arrive tomorrow, hopefully it'll be a better fit.

Edit: Boglioli arrived. It's beautiful, but the sleeves are way too long, and altering the jacket at the shoulder would ruin the pattern matching (black / blue plaid). I'm sending it back and ordering one in a solid color.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Polo just got in a new collection of unconstructed washed linen jackets that have excellent details and would be perfect for spring/summer. A bit casual but very good looking. I think they were $495. Sorry but they aren't on sale.

Last edited:

aperson

Reaction score
A jacket from polo for $95 not on sale? That sounds...unlikely. Where did you see this?

joeman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I read somewhere rag & bone makes unstructured coats.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've ordered a few Bogliolis and an LBM from YOOX and had to send them back - the sleeves (working buttons) were fine in length but the length is cut very short on a regular but I can't seem to find any Longs.

Strange but true, I stumbled across this jacket from Joseph Abboud about a year ago in a Nordie's Rack while hunting down some shoe trees - zero padding, unlined, dual vent, working buttons but long sleeve ends for easy fix, patch pockets, wool, cashmere, silk blend. I had my tailor do the sleeves and nip the waist and it is one of my favorite coats for casual wear....feels more like a shirt and I get compliments pin it all the time from random strangers (and I generally wear Isaia, Caruso, Barberra, etc.).

I bought it for $100. Took it to my tailor and asked what it would cost to reproduce it - "$1,000." Hmmmm...

Then I went online and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BK4698/ref=pe_175190_21431760_C1_cs_sce_dp_1

Same coat (I had the blue/black/grey check one) but in both a solid navy and a gray - just ordered them!

FWIW, I've been looking for the Keis and they seem hard to find.

aperson

Reaction score
Spark - what Boglioli did you get? I was looking at this on Yoox, and wondering if anybody happened to have the measurements of a 38R... I'm glad to hear that the jacket is short, since I'm a short guy
http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/BOGLIOLI/dept/men/tskay/3FD17CD7/rr/1/cod10/41280180PF/sts/sr_men80
I don't know the exact measurements, but a 38R is like a 38S with abnormally long sleeves. I'm about 5'9, and I'd guess that I need to take in at least 3 inches for a proper fit.

I believe the sleeves are intentionally long (in their lookbooks everybody is wearing t shirts or polos so there's no cuff showing anyway), but even if you're going for that style you'll need to have them altered.

If the sleeves fit you out of the box, the jacket itself will be about sweater length.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know the Boglioli models - I grabbed a couple in the post-Xmas sales where prices were slashed to $2-250. My ideal BOC measurements should be 31.5 and this was more in the 29.5/30 range - close but no cigar. My sense is that the cut is part of the current trend to go shorter in the profile, but that whole Thom Brown-ish thing doesn't work for me.

RE 3 beans for JA. Agreed. Normally I wouldn't even look at his stuff, but these pieces are a real aberration from everything I've ever seen from them - it's the full Neapolitan package. Wears like a cardigan, very louche. But I got the first one for 100 and then went so far as getting a quote on re-producing it because I was wearing the crap out of it and my tailor said a grand. So yeah, more than I would have liked but much cheaper than I would have paid to get another. Sizing is accurate and you can return them if it doesn't work. I figured that they were a one-off in the line, probably didn't resonate with their normal target market, and wouldn't be making any more, so I ponied up.

joe4u

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers also designs unstructured sports coats.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
That actually doesn't look too bad. $200 isn't a bad price, but I haven't been thrilled with my CT shirts, so I doubt the quality would be in the Boglioli/LBM range.

I also have an unstructured Crittenden SC, and I would say it's comparable to my Boglioli in terms of quality. It's a touch longer though.

aperson

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers also designs unstructured sports coats.
I have a couple of these in cotton that I picked up for about $150 each last year.

The cotton is a bit on the 'crisp' side if you're looking for something casual. Even though they're 'unstructured', the fabric is so stiff that they wear like a traditional suit jacket.

I much prefer the soft cotton and blends from LBM and boglioli. BB sleeves are easy to alter though, and the shoulders are spot on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads