• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unsealing the breast pocket

Yosarian77

Reaction score
I just started wearing pocket squares with my suits, but unfortunately, many of my suits have sealed breast pockets (didn't think to have them unsealed when they were originally altered). Well, now I'd like them unsealed. Rather than lug 15 suits down to my tailor, is there a way to do it myself without damaging the suit? I don't want to take unnecessary risks, if it's tricky, but if it's just a matter of a few delicate snips, then maybe I could do it myself.

Anyone have any tips?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pockets in a men's suit are tacked together (stitched temporarily) in production to keep them in good shape during the various stages of production.

Pull pocket apart, look down and you will see some white thread. One snip and a gentle rip will have solved the problem.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
This is Bradford's wife - since he like most men is incapable of opening his own suit pockets, he asked me to respond to this question.

Get a small pair of scissors, (Bradford has a pair on his keychain Swiss Army Knife that would work.)

Look inside the top of the pocket and locate the thread holding the pocket closed, it's usually white but can be dark.

Start at one end and snip a few of the connections. You may be able to pull the pocket apart all the way after doing this or you may be able to pull the thread out once it is cut. It may be necessary to grab ahold of the pocket from both sides and gently separate the jacket from the pocket. In some instances you may have to make another snip later on.

Remember to pull out any little pieces of thread so they aren't hanging there.

Do not pay to have this done. You can handle this yourselves, just be careful.

Lauren - aka Bradford's wife

Yosarian77

Reaction score
Lauren,
Thank you as well. Anytime I take scissors to my clothes, I start feeling like I'm doing field surgery or something. I did have to carve out a button hole with a pair of nail clippers once on a shirt that had been erroneously sealed, so perhaps I can do this too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads