• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unsanforized Jeans Question

Ahaz

Reaction score
I have a pair of unsanforized jeans (Fullcount 1108), that are 34.5" in the inseam right now - brand new. They're too big, being that they are not sanforized, and I need to shrink them down. However, if they shrink past 32.5" in the inseam, they're going to be too short for me.

Any ideas/guesses as to how much they might be expected to shrink if I did a cold soak, followed by hang drying them? What if I did this several times, to get all the shrinking done? They're a size 30, but measure out to a size 32 in the waist, which kinda scares me. If they're designed to shrink 2 inches in the waist, how much are they going to shrink in length!

And because threads are always more fun with pics...

dscf0006medium0nn.jpg

dscf0009medium7ms.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahaz
I have a pair of unsanforized jeans (Fullcount 1108), that are 34.5" in the inseam right now - brand new. They're too big, being that they are not sanforized, and I need to shrink them down. However, if they shrink past 32.5" in the inseam, they're going to be too short for me.

Any ideas/guesses as to how much they might be expected to shrink if I did a cold soak, followed by hang drying them? What if I did this several times, to get all the shrinking done? They're a size 30, but measure out to a size 32 in the waist, which kinda scares me. If they're designed to shrink 2 inches in the waist, how much are they going to shrink in length!

And because threads are always more fun with pics...

They'll shrink (imhe) between 2-3 inches in a warm wash, but less in cold. Also, you can stretch them out while wet, and after a few washes and stretches, they'll pretty much stay that way, again, imhe.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Just letting you know, those are not raw. They won't shrink very much. The length of raw Japanese jeans usually shrinks a good 3-4 inches.

Ahaz

Reaction score
Huh, they're listed as raw, and the definitely look different now that I've run them through the washer (but maybe that's just because they're still damp). They shrank a bit under 2", and I stretched them out a tad, making them about 33" in the inseam at the moment.

Here's to hoping they've slimmed up **********/crotch/thigh area. Should that take more than one wash?

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
I would definitely say those are raw, because of how flat and not wrinkly the denim is and because of how the leather patch looks. I have no doubt at all that those are raw in your pics.

They will only shrink unnoticably more after a second wash, unless you washed them cold the first time and then wash them warm. Most Japanese brands are supposed to be washed in 40*C.
Weird about the inseam though, rakuten stores say they shrink to 86cm(33.9"). Are you sure you're getting the measuring right?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see so many threads about shrinkage, I wanted to post this. I got this from "All About Cotton" by Julie Parker. She has some great books about cotton, wool, and silk. As opposed to typing I just scanned 2 pages and posted the links. Hope this is helpful on the topic of shrinkage. http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f7...1110192158.jpg http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f7...1110211539.jpg Unfortunately, I don't think anyone will be able to guess the exact amount of shrinkage. They could shrink a little or a lot depending on the quality of the weave. I don't think you will get the amount of shrinkage you need from just washing in cold (or warm) water. Maybe try it in warm water but I don't think that will change your jeans in inches. To get one or two inches you would probably have to put them in the dryer. Maybe 10-15 minutes? Then let them air dry for the rest of the way. The longer in the dryer, the more shrinkage. Not sure of the effects dry cleaning would have. That might be a better option?

minya

Reaction score
As HJJ said those are, without question, raw.

I, too, am surprised that they started out with a 34" inseam... the 2 pairs of Japanese jeans I own started out at 36" and shrunk to about 33.5" or so.

How's the waist on them now?

Ahaz

Reaction score
Much, much better. I washed them again, and they're hang drying now, so we'll see if they do any more shrinking. The length looks to be holding steady at about 33", after I very lightly stretched them.

Gentle cycle, cold/cold both times.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm glad they're coming out well Ahaz.

Do you guys not notice the denim rippling on the back, and the creases in the front? Neither of these things appear on completely unwashed jeans. They may have undergone just the slightest rinse, but I assure you that if they were completely raw, those ripples and creases would not exist.

Ahaz

Reaction score
Brian, the creasing on the butt is due to them being so flat and stiff. They formed a kind of peak between the back pockets (think steepling you fingers together). I tried to push that down in the photos, and that's what makes it look wrinkled.

The front one is maybe from not being folded perfectly straight, and being shipped from Japan. Or not, I'm no expert on raw versus one rinse.

Being so heavy, they're still kinda damp, but I'll get some pics up when they're dry.

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I'm glad they're coming out well Ahaz.

Do you guys not notice the denim rippling on the back, and the creases in the front? Neither of these things appear on completely unwashed jeans. They may have undergone just the slightest rinse, but I assure you that if they were completely raw, those ripples and creases would not exist.

The creases on the front are there because the denim wasn't completely flat when they were folded.
The outlines of the backpockets are flat, not puckering, denim is shiny and not hairy, leather patch is shiny and in new condition and actually all seams that are lying flat are not puckering.
What do you suppose is the purpose of soaking the jeans so little that it doesn't shrink them nor affect the denim? There is none. Still 100% sure that they were raw.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahaz
Thanks man, that was a pretty interesting read. The section on shrinking, and what it implies for mass produced garments vs. smaller run high quality garments is interesting.

Thanks, I am curious to see what happens with the shrinkage as you experiment. Hope they don't get too short.

frideswide

Reaction score
I've tried on the 1108's -- the denim is top class (and they are raw, by the way), but I didn't get them for precisely the reason you outline -- the inseam is too short (I am 6 foot 2). And since the jeans are unsanforized I knew they would only get shorter. I don't know why they make them like that, really, since many other Japanese brands (Samurai, etc) come with full 36+ inch legs.

Pity, since as I say that Zimbabwe cotton is quality. For something similar in a longer leg, you might try the Denime 66 or the Dry Bones slim model (can't remember the model number off the top of my head), or the Evisu 2000 in No. 1 Special.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads