• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpresidential-Looking Presidential Candidates

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
is gallup doing
spam[1].gif
?
laugh.gif

gentleman amateur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
is gallup doing
spam[1].gif
?
laugh.gif

I hope not. I lived in Hawaii for 6 years, where 95% of the spam is consumed. Disgusting. When I originally posted, the photo in which neither Obama nor McCain are wearing ties was the top photo. This should be the photo in the link below. I find their not wearing ties in poor taste and disingenuous for trying to look like the 'common man'. Now if you click to the homepage for Gallup, the lead article is 'Obama, Economic Negativity Hitting New High', the top photo is of the debate in progress and there Obama and McCain look more presidential. The crowd is filled with slobs, though.

Manton wrote a piece in considering whether Obama's not wearing a tie would be as influential as Kennedy's eschewing hats. I hope not. I hope either McCain wins and appoints Manton as sartorial advisor, or Obama wins and appoints Willie Brown to the same position.

http://www.gallup.com/video/111031/O...ts-Debate.aspx

captainmo

Reaction score
Voting for a candidate based on their style is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

gentleman amateur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by captainmo
Voting for a candidate based on their style is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Then the electorate is full of dumb voters. I don't advocate voting based on their style. I expect them to uphold an image, an image that carries considerable influence. That said, I am more interested in their substance, and I find that both candidates are lacking substance in the pix, which as I said demonstrates disingenuous behavior on their part. They are not wearing ties to convey an image so you'll vote for them. It is no accident that they are not wearing ties in the photos. It is no accident they did wear ties at the debate. Just because someone dresses well doesn't mean they are right for any job, but not dressing well is not a virtue, especially for the job they are applying for.

JeffsWood

Reaction score

Voting for a canidate based on the fact that he seems "like a guy you could have a beer with" worked out reall good.
confused.gif
So I wouldn't say voting based on style is the DUMBEST idea - but rather just a dumb idea.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score

I agree. Unfortunately, too many people vote for even more shallow reasons than that.

I can see it being a very small factor as politics is as much about image as substance (and will always be as long as people are not created to be perfect.)

gentleman amateur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forsbergacct2000
I agree. Unfortunately, too many people vote for even more shallow reasons than that.

I can see it being a very small factor as politics is as much about image as substance (and will always be as long as people are not created to be perfect.)

If it's a small factor, then neither candidate would go without tie in one photo and with tie at the debate. They are very much into image--whatever image that may be. And if image and substance are equal, then how is image a very small factor? But you are right about too many people voting based on shallow reasons. Not that the intention of this thread is for political discussion. Just how bad they look, especially given the importance of a certain image for the office they seek.

Manton's section in his book on presidential style is very interesting, as are his comments in interviews. I wonder how our future president will contribute to sartorial history. Neither Obama nor McCain without ties. And, as I said earlier, the audience was filled with slobs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads