Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bc78, Apr 2, 2009.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Tan shoes with navy suits.............

2. awxg

awxg Senior member

Chukkas
    Incotex (don't burn me)
    Bevel waist
    Hats in general

3. bc78

bc78 Senior member

We've done this before, but it's still fun.

Not for me:
    90 percent of Lobbs
    Gaudy, unnatural antiquing (I'm looking at you, Lobb cirrus. Along with Kiton, etc.)
    Ascots, though I don't really think they're that popular here. Unwearable on anyone not eligible for the AARP.
    Clothing that looks too new/slick
    Turtlenecks with suits
    Suspenders, aka braces
    Most wingtip balmorals
    Valextra

Also don't get the fetish for handwork in RTW shirts and the appeal of certain SF-adored brands, such as Isaia.

I've warmed to split-toes, though I still don't own any.

I really dislike gaudy antiquing as well. Have to disagree on the wingtip bals though.

Double-monks.

I love double-monks...

Don't like broguing...

and brogueing,

Tan shoes with navy suits.............

but I really hate tan shoes. In fact, I'd say I pretty much don't like anything lighter than medium brown.

4. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Chukkas
    Incotex (don't burn me)
    Bevel waist
    Hats in general

blasphemy!

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I don't know if they are popular or not, but I have always hated turtlenecks.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] Please explain. What's not to like?

Maybe I just haven't found the right stuff, or maybe it just doesn't work well on me. I've tried several models, having looked at it at both full retail and on discount, and haven't come across anything that particularly grabbed me. The fit is off and the patterns/cut don't set me on fire. But, like I said, maybe I'll find something I like down the road. And my experience is mostly with sportcoats, so maybe I'd feel differently if I needed more suits.

It's not so much that I dislike Isaia so much that I don't get the appeal. At least so far.

I don't dig Canali, either. Their sportcoat patterns tend to make my eyeballs itch.

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Alden
    broguing
    DB jackets
    knit ties
    Oxxford (love the quality, but the fits seldom work for me)

8. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I don't get people who think highly of high-end RTW shirts. You can pretty easily have made very good quality shirts made with Thomas Mason or comparable fabrics for $125 to $250. Will has a good entry about mytailor.com on his blog. Their Thomas fabrics are usually under $150, and the company is very widely available for in-person measurements.

At heavy discount, high-end RTW shirts usually fall into the price range I listed above and are easily double at retail. Plus, you are left with the sizes, fabrics, and styles that happen to be available. Why not choose your exact fabric and style and get a much better fit? I just don't see how a few little construction details outweigh all the benefits of a custom shirt.

And for a totally different type of thing that members highly regard that I don't get: certain WAYWRN posters. There are a few people who post outfits that are consistently highly praised that I think are ... um ... not good.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Maybe I just haven't found the right stuff, or maybe it just doesn't work well on me. I've tried several models, having looked at it at both full retail and on discount, and haven't come across anything that particularly grabbed me. The fit is off and the patterns/cut don't set me on fire. But, like I said, maybe I'll find something I like down the road. And my experience is mostly with sportcoats, so maybe I'd feel differently if I needed more suits.

It's not so much that I dislike Isaia so much that I don't get the appeal. At least so far.

I don't dig Canali, either. Their sportcoat patterns tend to make my eyeballs itch.

I see - it's surprising to hear as I know you like RL Signature as much as I do, and RLS and Isaia are the cuts that fit me the best OTR of all the RTW brands. I agree that some fabric patterns can be icky (especially some of the STP stuff) but with the righ fabric, I can't think of a better OTR suit. The fact that they can often be found for $600-800 is also a tremendous plus for me.

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't like them, either, except for the really chunky ones in rustic styles. And I don't wear those, just find them more appealing than the alternatives.

On that note, I don't like thin knitwear -- needs some substance to it. And I'm not big on polos.

11. Manton

As ever, these threads hit the rocks when we can't agree on what is popular and what is not.

For instance, I think it is not true that Oxxford is popular here. Most will acknowlege the excellent construction (though even this is diputed) but the styling is rarely praised, and there seems to be only one happy MTM customer, and many very unhappy ones.

12. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

And for a totally different type of thing that members highly regard that I don't get: certain WAYWRN posters. There are a few people who post outfits that are consistently highly praised that I think are ... um ... not good.

Start pointing them out constructively like others do. Don't let the rage build up.

13. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

As ever, these threads hit the rocks when we can't agree on what is popular and what is not.

Exactly. Everybody is knocking turtlenecks, which I happen to hate as well. But when were they ever considered popular here? I can remember a few threads where someone like Soph talked about wearing one with a suit, but I'd hardly call it a popular item around here.

14. Manton

Exactly. Everybody is knocking turtlenecks, which I happen to hate as well. But when were they ever considered popular here?

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Turtleneck is apparently a big trend for the upcoming F/W season. Get ready to hate on, haters