• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unopened Cologne from 2002

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long would it be worth buying? Limited edition, so I know it was bottled in '02. I love the scent, and I believe they have no intention of making anymore. however, due to it's ltd. edition run, it's fairly pricey, and I'm not sure if it's worth the money after all those years.

fredrik80

Reaction score
Assuming it has been stored in its box (or actually i mean not exposed to sunlight/strong lighting, and in a normal temperature) it should be no problems. Light and heat are what destroys a fragrance, or rather makes it go bad sooner than expected.

I also stock up on hard to find fragrances when i find a good deal

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Oxygen exposure also degrades fragrances.

andrebaron

Reaction score
don't worry--you're fine--just buy it and use it. I have several old colognes from the 70's that are still outragous.

teflondog

Reaction score
Out of curiousity, what cologne is it? I have bottles of DK Men and Aramis Havana, which have both been discontinued for many years now. They still smell great.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ted Baker Global. I was in the NY (soho) store last week and saw two left. In the paris store, they looked at me cross-eyed when I asked if there was any left. I boght a bottle of the new x/o, but it pales in comparison.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teflondog
Out of curiousity, what cologne is it? I have bottles of DK Men and Aramis Havana, which have both been discontinued for many years now. They still smell great.
In the last year I, too, have bought and sold a number of bottles of DK Men, which was discontinued in 1997. The most important part of the equation is the box, as this blocks light. A lot of hoopla is made about temperature, and one should take reasonable care, but sunlight is the biggest enemy of fragrances. A friend of mine (and T-dog's) bought his wife a bottle of Chanel no. 19. She left it on a table in reach of direct sunlight. Within a week it was useless. This is why many hardcore fragheads actually keep the cardboard packaging, and store the bottles inside of those, inside a cupboard or even a fridge, rather than displayed out on the dresser. This box-business is for NIB bottles. Of course, if it has been opened, especially if its a splash rather than a spray, oxygen-exposure could have reared its ugly head.

teflondog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
In the last year I, too, have bought and sold a number of bottles of DK Men, which was discontinued in 1997. The most important part of the equation is the box, as this blocks light. A lot of hoopla is made about temperature, and one should take reasonable care, but sunlight is the biggest enemy of fragrances. A friend of mine (and T-dog's) bought his wife a bottle of Chanel no. 19. She left it on a table in reach of direct sunlight. Within a week it was useless. This is why many hardcore fragheads actually keep the cardboard packaging, and store the bottles inside of those, inside a cupboard or even a fridge, rather than displayed out on the dresser.

This box-business is for NIB bottles. Of course, if it has been opened, especially if its a splash rather than a spray, oxygen-exposure could have reared its ugly head.

This is sound advise. Furthermore, you should also avoid storing your fragrances in the bathroom (the rapid temperature fluxes caused by the bath/shower could result in degradation of the cologne).

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teflondog
...you should also avoid storing your fragrances in the bathroom (the rapid temperature fluxes caused by the bath/shower could result in degradation of the cologne).

I live alone, and generally I keep my bathroom door open. Still a risk? Also, when degradation starts, does it result in no smell at all, or the scent doesn't last as long?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I live alone, and generally I keep my bathroom door open. Still a risk? Also, when degradation starts, does it result in no smell at all, or the scent doesn't last as long?

topnotes (the first smells, often citris) are the most volatile. They are thin and short lived, by their very chemical nature (there's really no fixative strong enought to make citrus notes last for hours), but once a cologne has "gone off", the topnotes will be basically gone. If you spray something on, and it immediately smells like it should at hour 2 or 3, it's gone-off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics