1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unlined blazer - shoulder pads?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ChicagoJohn, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Senior member

Do unlined blazers have shoulder pads?

The reason I ask is b/c I cut the liner out of my blazer - at the advice of my tailor (I requested it be-relined, he said the cost was prohibitive. Just cut it out instead). He told me which parts to cut out.

The front and sleeves still exist as well as the shoulder pads. Should I cut out the shoulder pads and sleeves too? It's a linen blazer.

I'm afraid if I cut the pads out it might not hang well since it was designed for them. Thoughts?

2. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Mine are quarter lined. Both have at least a little bit in the shoulders. But I bet there are beefier cuts to.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The lining is entirely independent of the shoulder padding. Who's going to see the lining anyway?

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've had bad luck removing shoulder pads; because the jacket shoulders were cut to accomodate them, the cloth no longer drapes right after the change. However, it sounds like you're talking about a much less structured, more casual jacket to begin with, so you may not have any such problem.

5. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Senior member

Why not take it back to the tailor and ask him?

6. ChicagoJohn

Thank-you for the advice. I think I'll do as suggested and just take it in next time I wear it.

7. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Who is your tailor in Chicago?

8. ChicagoJohn

Paul Chang right by the Thompson Building. He's incredible and everything I could hope for. I've gotten a few friends in to see him and they're amazed how much better their pieces fit.

I would've tried styleforum's infamous "Despos" but I work a block away from Chang.

9. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

what are the prices like?

10. ChicagoJohn

what are the prices like?

I can't afford any custom pieces yet (I'm only 29). All those prices are on his website
    Shirts start at $150 and suits start around 1200.

http://paulchangcustomtailors.com/prices

I typically take him all my pants and jackets once I buy them. Then he brings them in accordingly....priced about $20-60 depending on the amount of work done. His girls-in-back also do a killer job stitching up sweaters and other repairs.

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I've had bad luck removing shoulder pads; because the jacket shoulders were cut to accomodate them, the cloth no longer drapes right after the change. However, it sounds like you're talking about a much less structured, more casual jacket to begin with, so you may not have any such problem.

the cloth needs to be taken in at the top of the shoulder afterward to accommodate.