• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unlabled suits?

123zero

Reaction score
I bought a really beautiful blue suit at a store in my town recently that has a lable from the store, is also labeled Made in Canada, and a tag for loro piana wool. I like this suit a lot. It was $750 including tailoring which I thought was fair. They told me the company that made it for the store (Jack Victor). Fully canvas lining.

I went back to get another nice suit, same place. They have a nice windowpane suit I tried on and liked a lot. This one is Super 150 wool w/ a label saying it was spun in Italy. This suit is equally well made, full canvas lining. It is labled Made in China, and the store clerk dodged my question when I asked what company made it. I would imagine they will place their own label in it after I purchase the suit like they did with the last one. This suit is also $750.

The second suit looks and fits great and the material is great. I’m trying to get around the salesperson not telling me what company made it though. It just seems odd to me. I was wondering if maybe this is a regular industry practice now (maybe their buying M2M and reselling them?). Anyway, I’m just curious to hear what people think before I drop another $750 at this place.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
read my response to the thread on this page about William Hunt suits. Virtually everything that I wrote there applies here. Recurring questions on SF about quality, brands, who made this suit/jacket/whatever. If the suit fits you well, you like the fabric, price is fair, why should it matter who made it or where it was made? Others with real industry experience (e.g. Antonio Ciongoli of 18 East, formerly of Eidos) have written extensively about some of the very high quality clothing coming from China.

That being said, before you buy another suit, you are always welcome to post pictures of your current suit(s) for fit feedback.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
read my response to the thread on this page about William Hunt suits. Virtually everything that I wrote there applies here. Recurring questions on SF about quality, brands, who made this suit/jacket/whatever. If the suit fits you well, you like the fabric, price is fair, why should it matter who made it or where it was made? Others with real industry experience (e.g. Antonio Ciongoli of 18 East, formerly of Eidos) have written extensively about some of the very high quality clothing coming from China.

Would you happen to have links to these writings?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you happen to have links to these writings?

Start here:
I’ve said this repeatedly, but in Italy I tried and failed for 5 years to replicate things we did at RL in Asia

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Start here:

Very interesting reads. Thank you.

Just one question - what is 'RRL" (i.e Ralph Lauren with an extra R in it).

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double RL: styling is vintage American workwear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads