• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unknown Leather ID: Sea Turtle, Croc, Alligator, Embossed Leather, or Plastic?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have this pair of shoes that I am mostly convinced are croc/gator for a variety of reasons but I am not at 100% confidence. I wanted to run them by the forum and see what the consensus is and also share the pics of an interesting Vintage find.

What do you think?

**Disclosure: I intend to list these FS in the somewhat near future**

P1070141.jpg
P1070130.jpg

P1070126.jpg
P1070125.jpg

P1070127.jpg
P1070129.jpg

P1070139.jpg
P1070134.jpg

BBC

Reaction score
Those are the "real deal" - looks like alligator. Royal Imperials with that half rubber heel are quite rare.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that these might be sea turtle.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that these might be sea turtle.

Funny, that was my first thought, but I had never heard of shoes in turtle before. The leather seems too uniform, with too many small scales right next to large scales, to be Gator but I have very little experience. I have seen a lot of sea turtles in the ocean before and their scales look just like that.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I'm voting gator.
I use American Alligator all the time...I have a pair of boots I'm making in Navy gator. You'll note the absence of square tiles anywhere on this pair of shoes. None. Alligator has predominantly square tiles even in the belly. Unless you buy a huge hide--what we call a "dinosaur"--there simply isn't enough round tiles to make a shoe like that. Crocodile? Maybe--the tiles do tend to be rounder. But it would still take an animal 60+cm across the belly...and require cutting the vamps and quarters from the flanks leaving most of the belly untouched.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys, I have never seen sea turtle leather up close, would be interesting if they are. They were advertised as fake croc but the looked real so I took a chance. Compared to some other exotics they just have a different feel which I could not put my finger on.

Now to read up on this a bit...

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sea Turtle is much rarer than croc or gator....

Mike

JustChris

Reaction score
This pair and the pair in the original post are both alligator, I'm 95% certain. They are definitely not sea turtle. Turtle leather comes from the throat and flippers and has irregular sizes and shapes to the scales. Commercial trade in turtle hides has been illegal for at least 20 years, so it's pretty unusual to see any, especially any in decent condition. The rounded scale shape is because these are from the sides of the gator, which is an uncommon portion of the hide, due to the way they are skinned. Normally, the hide is cut along the sides, leaving the more valuable belly and back sections intact. I think, though I'm not sure, that the sides are less durable. Personally, I like side cut gator. Skinning diagram:
gatorskin.jpg
Gator hide:
tail_cut.jpg
This isn't the best pic, since it focuses on the tail, but you can see the same scale pattern as in the posted shoes along the edges of the hide. Sea turtle:
seaturtle.jpg
Again, not the best pic, but you can see the difference in scale shape and size. Of course, I'll defer to DWFII on general leather knowledge and particularly on shoe & boot construction, since he's forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads