• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

University of Phoenix a scam?

Bruce9241

Reaction score
Anyone here have information about University of Phoenix?

I contacted them about their MBA program and spoke with a counselor. To tell you the truth, the counselor sounded more like a salesman than an academic counselor.

I'm thinking about getting an MBA, but I don't think my grades are good enough to apply to a real school(3.0ish, psychology major, unknown school)

I know that employers in the U.S know about these online type MBA programs and don't really take them seriously, but people in other countries don't really know and don't care. They just see the MBA and think you're good.

Is the 40,000 price tag worth it?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$40K for an online degree? Are you insane?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
$40K for an online degree? Are you insane?

+1!!!!11!!!

You need to do a lot more stuff before you even consider doing this. Go to a real grad school and earn a different Masters degree to bump up your GPA and broaden your education, spend some time gaining some real world experience with a job, work on getting quality references, GMAT classes, study abroad, etc...

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bruce9241
Anyone here have information about University of Phoenix?

I contacted them about their MBA program and spoke with a counselor. To tell you the truth, the counselor sounded more like a salesman than an academic counselor.

I'm thinking about getting an MBA, but I don't think my grades are good enough to apply to a real school(3.0ish, psychology major, unknown school)

I know that employers in the U.S know about these online type MBA programs and don't really take them seriously, but people in other countries don't really know and don't care. They just see the MBA and think you're good.

Is the 40,000 price tag worth it?

Please Don't!

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real schools don't advertise. They may contact individuals that meet their criteria but they don't try to sell you.

KBW

Reaction score
Go to a real school...40K for U of PHX is ridiculous.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a real school. But for what it's worth, there is a kid in my law school who got his degree at the University of Phoenix.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
University of Phoenix is only good if you need a certificate fast. You'll pay through the nose for it, but for something like being a ________ assistant, you might make it back pretty quickly.

For an MBA, I think you'd have to be pretty m*th*r f*ck*ing insane to pay $40k to a bunch of MBA's (ah the irony). If you are just going to spend $40k buying a degree, go to a state school for way cheaper.

Bruce9241

Reaction score
Yea I ruled against this school when their counselors(salesman) kept calling me.

During one conversation I think he offered to lower the price a bit because I told him the $40,000 was too high. He mentioned $32,000. I'm pretty sure they work on commission.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I ruled against this school when their counselors(salesman) kept calling me.

During one conversation I think he offered to lower the price a bit because I told him the $40,000 was too high. He mentioned $32,000. I'm pretty sure they work on commission.

I thought these degrees were in the 10-15k range at max because they are so worthless.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes you think that just because it's an online school that you would even do well with the curriculum? You already said that your grades are average from a no-name school. This says that either you are not the studying material or you are a slacker.

I have a friend who got her Ed.D from Univ. of Phoenix and is now a college professor and runs her own school.

Don't for a minute think that by getting an MBA you'll be set. Checkout all the threads of people with MBA from actual schools who are unemployed.

Another question, what were you planning on doing with that psychology degree anyway? Was there a plan upfront or were you just chilling out in college and just sort of picked a degree, and now that you are graduating realizing that you are $$$ in debt without a job prospect and now trying to scramble for any additional degree to hopefully recoup some of the $$$?

Pundit

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they work on commission.

+1

This commission aspect was mentioned in an article I read about the place. I am sure that you can learn a few things at places like this but the degree will always be a second rate one with no standing amongst academic types.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Says it all, doesn't it?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
University of Phoenix is not worth it.

I've known lots of their Enrollment Advisors (salespeople) and even interviewed once myself for the job. They don't "officially" work on commission because that is illegal for educational institutions, but when it comes down to it, that is exactly what they do.

Even with a 3.0, you can quite likely get into a lot of state schools which are not just diploma mills and actually have decent reputations.

A lot of these places have online programs - like Arizona State (ranked #22 by US News & World Report) where I got my MBA. http://wpcarey.asu.edu/mba/online/index.cfm

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka