University interview tomorrow, is this combination OK?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by punit12, Jan 29, 2013.

1. punit12

punit12 Active Member

Hi, I'm new to the forums here but have been lurking and reading for a while.

I have an interview tomorrow at the Royal Veterinary College to study Postgrad Veterinary Medicine and have come up with the attached combination of shirt and tie and will be wearing it with a navy suit, brown belt and brown shoes.

Does it match OK or should I change the shirt??

Thanks for your help!

2. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

I would go for a more conservative shirt and tie; pale blue or white shirt with a solid (or conservative patterned) navy, burgundy or brown tie.

3. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I think this looks very nice and smart for an interview. Good luck and hope you get in.
    Tie knot can be improved.

4. punit12

punit12 Active Member

Thank you for the replies, yes I am still toying with a plain white shirt but a friend of mine, who studies at the same university, said to wear something to stand out? My tie knot will be improved in the morning haha[​IMG].

5. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

The idea of an interview is to stand out based on your qualifications and ability to communicate, not your shirt and tie. Stick with a solid light blue or white shirt and a conservative tie. Plenty of time to stand out based on your wardrobe once you've been accepted. Best of luck.

6. suited

suited Senior member

At the very least, ditch the bright purple tie and wear a navy or burgundy tie, preferably with a solid shirt.

7. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

+1 Right now is not the time to walk in like you belong on the cover of vogue. Focus on fit and stay with conservative colors. Best of luck in the interview.

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

That is fine, good luck and just don't worry about your dress, you are being interviewed not your clothes.

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Do you feel comfortable in it (fit)? Will you be self-conscious with the look/combination? If you answer "yes" and "no" respectively, then you will be fine.

Even if one of your interviewers is a SF member, trust that a shirt/tie combination will not exclude or guarantee a slot. I have interviewed many potential candidates for academic/clinical positions and although many might have been poorly dressed, their presence and vitae have been more important to me.

On that note, if you still would like my clothing opinion, I say wear a white shirt, make sure your suit is solid navy, wear dark brown shoes/belt, and keep your jacket buttoned (obviously not the bottom one). Tie is fine although I typically wear black shoes when I wear a purple tie (personal preference).

Good luck and do not forget to ask questions!

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

little busy.

white shirt.

11. Dib

Dib Senior member

While I agree that your shirt/tie combo won't determine the success of your interview, I think you want to stand out for the right reasons (i.e. your answers to their questions rather than the clothes you are wearing). I think that combo is too busy and distracting - I agree with all the above posters who have suggested you wear a plain white or light blue shirt with a relatively conservative solid or lightly patterned tie.

Also, given this is in the UK, I would opt for black shoes in an interview rather than brown.

As I say, even if you decide to wear what you had originally planned it won't make or break the interview, but if I was going into an interview I would want to be dressed in a simple and conservative manner so as to minimise any potential distractions for the interviewers. Plenty of time to wear bolder outfits after the interview!

12. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

+1. All the best in the interview.

13. punit12

punit12 Active Member

Thank you everyone, I wore a white shirt shirt instead. Interview went well; was a different format to what I've been used to- instead of talking with someone for 30min, had to run through 5 "mini-stations" in quick succession (5min each with 1min break between each station), doing several "vetty" activities like calculating drug dosage and talking about ethical issues etc...Then there was a group task at the end. They will let me know of the outcome in mid-March.

Thanks again for you opinions!

14. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Good to hear. It sounds like you did pretty well.

15. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013