Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

University Experience

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by vincent, Jun 27, 2006.

1. metaphysician

metaphysician Senior Member

What venerable institution is this that finds itself unable to attract a student body of any substance? Are the intelligent, secure, well-rounded, sober kids taking a pass on college these days, or are they opting for lower-profile 'second-tier' schools, or what?

They're at schools like St. John's College and Swarthmore, I would guess.

2. rdawson808

rdawson808 Distinguished Member

Guys....

Don't get me wrong. I am definately not some type trench coat mafia member who locks himself in his room all night contemplating slicing his wrists.

I have many friends and pretty much every weekend is gongshow...

I simply feel that most students at my university (which is considered by many to be a top international institution) are lame, boring....

So your complaint is that your fellow students aren't as fun or cool as you? Don't hang out with them. And, btw, they probably feel the same about you.

bob

3. Margaret

Margaret Distinguished Member

They're at schools like St. John's College and Swarthmore, I would guess.

Well, maybe a transfer is in order.

4. rdawson808

rdawson808 Distinguished Member

I taught for a year at a very highly ranked liberal arts college. These kids were unbelievably smart and partied hardcore too.

bob

5. King Salmon

King Salmon Senior Member

I think there are very many mutually exclusive standards for what is partying hardcore. For some, a night of scrabble is enough; for others, no party is complete without breaking out the meth pipe.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Haven't you all read Wolfe's I Am Charlotte Simmons?

It's rape and crystal meth and late night Blake.

7. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

Define lame and boring.

BTW, to what school do these innuendos about a top international institution refer?

8. metaphysician

metaphysician Senior Member

Haven't you all read Wolfe's I Am Charlotte Simmons?

It's rape and crystal meth and late night Blake.

Wolfe's depiction of campus life is very close to reality.

9. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior Member

I'm just getting ready to start my first year of university this fall. I've taken the last two years off since high school ended for me. Because I wasn't apply directly from high school, I was put on the residence waiting list and didn't end up getting a room. I now have to find a place off-campus. At first, I was pretty disappointed about not living in residence and missing out on the "college experience" but now I think it will be better off. My best friend and I are getting a place together and, as I meet people in the new city, I'll be able to build a life off-campus and then supplement it with school and campus life.

Maybe you could try living somewhere else for your last year?

10. Violinist

Violinist Distinguished Member

So your complaint is that your fellow students aren't as fun or cool as you? Don't hang out with them. And, btw, they probably feel the same about you.

bob

you must have been dunked in a few toilets by the campus jocks. Did they tell you that if you ate the limp biscuit they'd be your friends? [​IMG]

Sorry, gotta agree with vincent. Most kids at university come from well to do (relatively speaking), conservative families and they're about 5 years behind maturity wise and a lot of the time their actions are just embarrasing (although they're uniformly extremely well mannered, often well intentioned kids). It's just that if you come from a place where the drinking age is kind of only a suggestion and people DON'T lose their virginity only right before marriage, then it can be a bit hard to deal with.

A lot of time I think going to a state school would have been really fun.

11. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

I am in the same position as you, finishing up my last semester this fall.

The first two years were dry - had a small group of friends, and didn't go out a lot - stuck with the group mostly.

The last two years have been great. Went out with friends nearly every night, made love to dozens of great women, figured out what was truly important to me in life (not money, thats for sure), defined myself as a man, and made many many great friendships with good people.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I suppose this is similar to the so-called high school experience as well, which seems a covert version of the college experience.

13. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

I suppose this is similar to the so-called high school experience as well, which seems a covert version of the college experience.

High school was very tame, and actually quite lame in contrast with my college experience. Perhaps I hadn't fully recognized who I was, and what I wanted out of life. Perhaps I still don't know.

14. Violinist

Violinist Distinguished Member

High school was very tame, and actually quite lame in contrast with my college experience. Perhaps I hadn't fully recognized who I was, and what I wanted out of life. Perhaps I still don't know.

To have those questions answered this early in life would be depressing... enjoy the evolution.

I've stayed very much the same in a lot of ways, my personality has simply matured somewhat so that I can articulate more eloquently (by my actions) who I am. Some people do complete 180s when they come to university.

15. Reggs

Reggs Distinguished Member

Guys....

Don't get me wrong. I am definately not some type trench coat mafia member who locks himself in his room all night contemplating slicing his wrists.

I have many friends and pretty much every weekend is gongshow...

I simply feel that most students at my university (which is considered by many to be a top international institution) are lame, boring....

"Im so god dam cool. I wish other people were as cool as I am, but no. Why is it that I have to be too good for my peers?"