• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

University Ball Suit Advice

GNorman

Reaction score
So after having attended a few balls and wearing a trusty old black suit of mine (usually with a colourful tie of some sort) I'm thinking of getting a new suit for the next one I attend for something different that stands out a bit without being out of place. I like the idea of having a blue suit/brown belt and shoes/checkered shirt outfit in general but I'm wondering if this would be suitable for a university ball? (EDIT: For context, the ball is also "Moroccan" themed though I don't think that's meant to have any bearing on the dresscode.)

The event details say black tie but based on my previous experience (and double checking with the organisers) it appears this isn't a proper black tie event - ie ties and suits of other colours are welcome (in the past I've seen some wacky tie colours and blue and grey suits).

What I haven't seen however (looking back at photos of previous years) is anyone matching a checkered shirt with a suit - I'm guessing this combination may be reserved more for business/less formal situations? I really like how the combination looks, but at the same time get the feeling this probably wouldn't be suitable?

For reference here's the suit jacket I'm currently looking at getting, along with some standard brown formal shoes. The check shirt I was looking at was something like this (same brand, but the pattern was slightly different and I don't think it had a breast pocket). To get an idea of the overall picture I was aiming for, here's a suit combo from the same company. Would this sort of thing be appropriate for my event you think, or should I maybe go with a safer plane white shirt instead?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Plain white shirt is almost always the safer bet, but you can get away with that shirt and a solid tie...just not like the suit combo you linked. That looks bad....shirt doesn't work with a suit and shiny matching tie isn't a good look.

Last edited:

GNorman

Reaction score
Yeah not a fan of the tie in that combo, more just the idea of checkered shirt with blue/navy suit - would checkered shirt work better with a darker navy type suit maybe?

Astaroth

Reaction score
The two shirts are quite different, so which were you thinking of?

It all depends on how formal you want to be, the small check is the least formal and a plain white shirt is the most formal. I know our black tie ball (and black tie means tuxedo/dinner jacket not just a black tie) at uni had as many people in jeans and t-shirts as it did tuxedos with many just in trousers and shirts.... the lasses made more of an effort.

Unless you want the suit to only be usable for evening events then avoid a shiny finish.

GNorman

Reaction score
Here's pictures of the two suit colours I'm looking at - one is navy the other is dark blue. The tie is just a placeholder. Which suit colour do you think is better and does that shirt go with either of them? If not for the ball (I can switch it for a white one if I need to make it more formal) but in general? I'd like to wear brown shoes/belt with the suit too if that changes anything.

Last edited:

Astaroth

Reaction score
My laptop screen is terrible for colour reproduction so cannot comment on the suits in particular but in general I'd rather go for a dark/midnight blue for a social event but navy for business/ interview/ court etc. So money no object, wardrobe full of suits etc then midnight blue but if you need to think about reusability of the garment then I'd more likely go for navy even though its not the best for the event itself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads