• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unique workouts/exercises?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of about doing random workouts with odd things and doing workouts off the top of my head. Like in the middle of a hike picking up a big rock and running/trudging up a hill with it. etc etc.

Today I was doing a stair workout, mostly stair sprints and I added two reps of a sprint I hadn't done in a few years and it broke me really good. I do my stair workouts at a stadium that is about 60 or so stairs high and the stadium length spans just over the length of a football field, so about 110 yards. I start at the bottom of one end of the stadium and sprint up the stairs and then back down - once down I sprint the length of the stadium (110 yds) to the farthest set of stairs then sprint that set, go back down and return to the other end with another 110 yd sprint, finally finishing with a sprint up the initial set of stairs. So all told the sprint includes (3) flights of stair sprints with (2) 110 yard running sprints in between. All told it takes about 50 seconds. I did two reps. Hope that explanation made sense.

Point of all that is its a sprint that kinda just popped into my head that seemed fun and hard. Anyone else have anything unique they thought of or know of to throw a curve into a workout?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out the crossfit workouts for ideas. They often have something interesting like sledgehammers or weighted sled runs thrown in.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

I've seen their stuff and use some of it on occasion.

I was more just curious of things people here have come up with on their own. Just curious really.

usctrojan99

Reaction score
Try using the kettle bell if you have that at your gym. It's a good way to switch things up.

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
If you have kids, play with them. Tag, Hide and Seek, and other chase games are a lot of fun and great exercise!

...and if you want to add an additional degree of difficulty to the workout, play with your grandkids. It becomes immediatly apparent why most of us have kids when we are young!
wink.gif

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ haah I'll plan on that in 20 years or so. Or if I mess up right quick, a few years.
devil.gif

Until then, I think I am a kid.

Star

Reaction score
Mona's Fartlek - 2 x 90 secs / 4 x 60 secs / 4 x 30 secs / 4 x 15 .

Implies you do 90 jog and then 90 hard, then 90 jog then 90 hard, then 60 jog 60 hard, 60 jog 60 hard......... Do this set twice and then come back to this message board and tell us how you feel.
tounge.gif

Also, make sure the course you plan to run the fartlek has a few rises and dips so its a little more interesting.

Kris

Reaction score
Here are a couple suggestions:

weighted vest (get one, put it on, go for 30 to 60 minute walk with it every day)

olympic lifts (clean/jerk, snatch- do them, get good, look like an Adonis)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads