• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unique wedding reception

jaketheripper

Reaction score
This is my first post so forgive me if I sound like an idiot. I have very little knowledge of how to dress at classy functions. Also I'm sorry if I go into too much detail but this event is fairly nontraditional. I am getting married this summer. Our ceremony will be somewhere on the beach and will be a very small deal with just family, so I'm not too concerned about my outfit there (unless anyone has any fantastic ideas). My reception however will be a large party after our honeymoon. It's going to take place in my large backyard. It will start around 7 there will be nice food, toasting, and music and dancing. This may sound tacky but we are aiming to make it as elegant as we can. I was planning on wearing a grey sharkskin suit I own with a white or light blue shirt. I wanted to have the pants altered and wear suspenders as well but I'm not sure if that is appropriate. I also am 50/50 on the tie issue. can anyone help me out?
Thanks

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All are fine, including the suspenders. Wear a tie. Make sure you have decent dress shoes. Have a look at Allen Edmonds.
You could wear a linen suit at your beach wedding if you like. This time of year, the Brooks Brothers website probably has some on deep discount.
I'm not sure what is so unique about this. You may want to watch The Godfather for reception ideas.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is my first post so forgive me if I sound like an idiot. I have very little knowledge of how to dress at classy functions. Also I'm sorry if I go into too much detail but this event is fairly nontraditional. I am getting married this summer. Our ceremony will be somewhere on the beach and will be a very small deal with just family, so I'm not too concerned about my outfit there (unless anyone has any fantastic ideas). My reception however will be a large party after our honeymoon. It's going to take place in my large backyard. It will start around 7 there will be nice food, toasting, and music and dancing. This may sound tacky but we are aiming to make it as elegant as we can. I was planning on wearing a grey sharkskin suit I own with a white or light blue shirt. I wanted to have the pants altered and wear suspenders as well but I'm not sure if that is appropriate. I also am 50/50 on the tie issue. can anyone help me out?
Thanks

Making the reception elegant is never tacky. Elegant is the opposite of tacky. As it is an evening event, the white shirt is the better choice. Definitely wear a tie. It is of some very small inconvenience of cost to you, and raises the elegance of your outfit significantly. I recommend this one, which will do you good service in virtually any situation for a long time to come:

http://www.kentwang.com/navy-grenadine.html

If you get the pants altered, realize that pants made for suspenders are generally made with a higher rise and looser in the waistband. If your pants are fairly low rise right now, it may be impossible to make them look like pants that are really made for suspenders. Also, you'll want to get the belt loops removed. Also suspenders with no tie looks pretty weird IMHO so if you go suspenders, even more reason to wear a tie. Finally, you should keep your jacket on throughout the event anyway, but this also goes doubly if you are wearing suspenders.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There may be few occasions in your life to wear a tie. As this is one of them, seize that opportunity.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think Grey Sharkskin suit tacky

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would think Grey Sharkskin suit tacky

WTF is tacky about a gray sharkskin suit? I have one from Chan, and I would proudly wear it to any function where a lounge suit is appropriate.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice is that a wedding and reception is an opportunity for numerous photos that you and your family will keep for many years to come. Wear something that will make you and your bride look your best, especially for photos. Plan on keeping your jacket and tie on for the entire event. Avoid, of-the-moment trendy fashion touches. Wearing classic styled and tailored clothes will look better in photos. (nothing too short, too tight, too anything)

On a beach of course you can wear whatever you want but there is also no reason to not dress up for this special occassion. My daughter got married on the beach in Mexico and she had the fancy dress and the groom a beige silk/linen/wool blend suit, white shirt and light blue tie. It looked very good in the hot, tropical setting. I also see guys wearing for beach weddings tan suits with white shirts and reps ties and on the East coast blue blazers with khakis and rep ties.

Slippybee

Reaction score

My advice is that a wedding and reception is an opportunity for numerous photos that you and your family will keep for many years to come. Wear something that will make you and your bride look your best, especially for photos.

^ This is very sound advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads