• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unique Suit Styles

Ihab

Reaction score
Hello All

Needing some advice on finding a suit.

Going to a cousin's wedding and I want to go in looking very sharp and unique. I want to stand out and not just look like another guy wearing a suit off the rack.

I was thinking of a very bold pinstripe, similar to what was worn by Nucky on Boardwalk Empire, If anyone watches that show.
I know I want to wear a vest for sure, but am unsure of patterns colors etc. (maybe a brown pinstripe?, but that may be very lame..)

Weddding will be in Dubai, so weather will be cool, but not cold at all.

Biggest obstacle I face is the budget, which is around $4-500. I know it's hard to find anything really nice for that price range, but I'm a fresh graduate still on my first job and cash is limited.

I'm 6' tall with a stalky bodystyle, living in the Houston area if that helps.

Thanks in advance
Ihab

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, speaking since I am doing the exact same thing (going to a cousin's wedding on Feb 5th), do NOT stand out. Some people have told me otherwise, but the consensus is not to stand out. It's your cousin's day, not yours. I've been trying to tone down my ensemble a bit so I don't look like an inconsiderate asshole.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ihab
I was thinking of a very bold pinstripe, similar to what was worn by Nucky on Boardwalk Empire, If anyone watches that show.
Pinstripes are for business only and in my opinion can often make a cheap suit look cheaper.

If you're after a more fashion-forward style, I would recommed Thick as Thieves ( a quick google search will take you to their website) for a made-to-measure suit for around $500.

At a wedding you don't want to be detracting attention from the bride and groom so don't try to stand out too much, remember, it's not about you. If you intend to dress in a more individual way, do it with your choice of tie\\pocket square\\ shoes rather than with a loud suit; you'll probably come over as obnoxious rather than 'unique' in an extreme pinstripe.

Oh, and from a semantic point-of-view it doesn't make sense to describe something as "more unique", it either is unique or it isn't.

JonasAberg

Reaction score
If I wanted to stand out at a wedding I'd wear a tuxedo. If the wedding was in Dubai I would wear a white tuxedo jacket. Noone around here wears a tux so I am quite sure I'd be the only one.

However, as previous posters mentioned, a wedding is probably not the place to stand out too much.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget the idea of standing out - YOU are NOT the centre of attraction unless it is your wedding.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to stand out (subtly), don't wear a garish suit, wear a plain navy or charcoal and make sure the fit is impeccable. Wear nice shoes and accesorise well.

This will make you look far more stylish than wearing a 3 piece pinstripe or a white tux.

Ihab

Reaction score
I see where you guys are coming from. I didn't think of it that way. I'd probably go with a charcoal suit in this case, but what type of shoes and accessories would make it stand out? And how do I make sure the fit is impeccable? I really appreciate the help, I am very new to all this, and in the past have just bought a suit off the rack and wore a matching tie and shirt. I've had my eye on these shoes for a while, but not sure how formal or informal wingtips are. And not sure if the burgundy would go with charcoal. http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/...LAID=662899856

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And how do I make sure the fit is impeccable?

Bespoke, but that is out of your price range. Take your suit to a tailor to get it altered.

IMHO, no wingtips. Black oxfords, semi conservative.

You used to match your tie and shirt? What the...

runner-guy

Reaction score
I see where you guys are coming from. I didn't think of it that way.

I'd probably go with a charcoal suit in this case, but what type of shoes and accessories would make it stand out? And how do I make sure the fit is impeccable?

I really appreciate the help, I am very new to all this, and in the past have just bought a suit off the rack and wore a matching tie and shirt.

I've had my eye on these shoes for a while, but not sure how formal or informal wingtips are. And not sure if the burgundy would go with charcoal.

http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/...LAID=662899856

Burgundy goes great with charcoal IMO, but you won't get any love for Rockports on this forum.

Sazerac

Reaction score
A lot depends on your coloring, too -- that is skin tone, hair color, etc. When you go shopping bring along a woman who can be objective to tell you what colors look better on you.

If you're of middle eastern origin and have a more olive complexion, I personally think navy works better than charcoal. But that's just me.

AncientSoul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
A lot depends on your coloring, too -- that is skin tone, hair color, etc. When you go shopping bring along a woman who can be objective to tell you what colors look better on you.

Where do you find such a woman? I thought getting a woman's input in the matters of men's clothing was not SF approved.
confused.gif

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AncientSoul
Where do you find such a woman? I thought getting a woman's input in the matters of men's clothing was not SF approved.
confused.gif

It isn't SF approved in the slightest. But for a beginner, it helps.

Personally, I bring along one of my gay friends whose style I admire. He mocks me for not having bespoke shoes, but I put up with it for his sound advice.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AncientSoul
confused.gif

It's only approved if she is a Purse Forum member.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably go with a charcoal suit in this case, but what type of shoes and accessories would make it stand out? And how do I make sure the fit is impeccable?

To get the ideal fit, buy the suit size that best off the rack. Make sure it fits through the shoulders, correct jacket length etc. Then have it tailored (in house if its a reputable retailer) to get the bits that don't fit perfect OTR looking good (sleeve length, trouser hem, waist suppression if any)

A pair of well polished captoes, something like this http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

A classic tie such as a navy polka, navy knit, or a repp stripe.

A crisp white shirt with french cuffs and a white linen pocket square in a tv fold.

I guarantee you will look better than 99% of the guests there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads