• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unique Suit Lapel

GrandRapids

Reaction score
I came across this suit today while browsing City Life. I have never seen this lapel before, but I like it. It's kind of a reverse peak with a button hole. Does anyone know what this lapel style is called, or is this a unique design? Thanks!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrandRapids
I came across this suit today while browsing City Life. I have never seen this lapel before, but I like it. It's kind of a reverse peak plus button hole.

Does anyone know what this lapel style is called, or is this a unique design? Thanks!

This is probably spam, but the opposite lapel has a button underneath it so you can pop the collar and close the lapels over the chest and fasten the little thingy up by your neck. Not really that unique it has been done forever. Actualy fastening lapels over the chest was the norm way back when.

GrandRapids

Reaction score
I don't fully understand. When the two lapels are buttoned together, are they sticking out in front like praying hands? or do they lay down flat on top of each other?

I'm surprised they've been doing this forever, because I'm positive I've never seen a suit jacket in this position before, at least not here in Michigan.

What is this type of lapel called?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ever notice the button hole on the lapels of jackets? Well on the opposite one there used to be a button on the other side. I am not sure what this particular style is called, but yes the lapels would slightly overlap. Having this little butthole thing isn't rare and it has become sort of "fashiony".

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrandRapids
I'm surprised they've been doing this forever, because I'm positive I've never seen a suit jacket in this position before, at least not here in Michigan.

What is this type of lapel called?

It's called a collar tab, they are pretty common on tweed coats and this is what it looks like when done up (image taken from Bookster):

collarr.jpg

GrandRapids

Reaction score
Ahh. Now that I see this picture I can vaguely remember seeing this on jackets that function more like coats. I think what originally struck me was that I saw it on what appears to be just a regular business/fashion suit - not something you'd expect to have this kind of feature!

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nowadays it's probably more popular on country/tweed jackets.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And this is what it looks like when the lapel button hole is used:

zegnasoftantracietoq9.jpg

zegnasoftbordeauxrh9.jpg

(Excuse the ugly pics.)

BBC

Reaction score
I've always called them a storm collar. Whatever they're called, they're indeed pretty common on tweeds.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very handy on a chilly day or you're in one of those weird places (like melbourne, aust I must say) where it can be damn hot one moment and a big cool change came the next moment.

matsui

Reaction score
I read this thread this morning, and had never seen that lapel before either, and then I just watched last nights episode of "Parks and Recreation" just now, and Adam Scott's character was wearing a jacket with it for half the episode. I probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

bookster1uk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Nowadays it's probably more popular on country/tweed jackets.

Commonly known over here as a 'Ghillie Collar' but these days believe it or not in the UK at least its seen on 'normal' mass produced fashion, and trendy 'bespoke' suits and jackets too, though usually not functional , just the collar tab.
On ours its optional and it can button back . I have always liked it myself simply as a feature, as well as for practical purposes in bad weather

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
It's called a collar tab, they are pretty common on tweed coats and this is what it looks like when done up (image taken from Bookster):
collarr.jpg

I had one of these, or maybe more than one, from Chipp(I), now called Winston Tailors, in New York.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads