• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unique Physique and Budget - Need Your Expertise

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Gentlemen (and Ladies, if there are any viewing this),

While I'm completely new to this forum, I'm already hugely impressed by the vast amount of knowledge this community collectively carries. As someone who is definitely less knowledge about Mens' style, I felt this was the best place to reach out for some much needed help.

I'm 22 years old, and though my expenses are minimal (I believe in living below my means and working hard), my income currently is not much greater. Thus my budget to stay looking sharp is next to nothing.

In addition to that, I'm 6' 6", and 170lbs. I have broad shoulders, and my target weight is 200lbs, but I won't be hitting that for a few years, so I should buy with my current physique in mind.

So, this may stretch many of you, but if I were to put in $500 next month to revamp my horrid wardrobe, possibly another $1k in 4-5 months, and probably another $3-5k in next year, what would that first $500 best be spent on?

The vast majority of my life will be in a business casual environment - no ties. I want to look very sharp. I don't need flashy name brand that 1 in 5000 people will notice, I need to have an advantage in the sharpness of my dress to the people that don't understand why.

I hope that makes sense. I very much hope you can help me, as I have yet to find someone that can. Thanks for your time!

-Evan

kever

Reaction score
Check out H&M. Their XL's fit my 6'6" frame well, and they fit slim. I can't tell you what to spend the $500 on, but if you go to H&M when they have a sale, you could get a lot of nice looking things that would probably fit you well.

southbound35

Reaction score
If your physique is changing over the next year or so, I'd consider starting with quality shoes.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See below?
smile.gif
That might be your best option, especially considering the few comments.

So much depends on what you currently have and how bad it is. Likely priority items that you'll get full value from (and not outgrow prematurely) are pants, shoes, a belt or two, socks, and maybe a watch.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you'll spend a lot of time during your day out and about and at work how about starting with the things you'll likely wear the most and that people see. Shirts, pants, shoes. Honestly, business casual wardrobes don't require a lot of suit wearing (usually, you weren't very descriptive of your work environment) so I would maybe worry about getting one nice one in a solid classic color later on.

Build up with some quality basics, and get tailoring done when needed. I'd personally start off with some made to measure shirts (tons of info, use search, read!) and a few wool pants and chinos that fit and are hemmed properly. As well as putting money into well-made, leather shoes Allen Edmonds is a common offering, but do searching around this forum for more information. Read, read, read, soak it up. Then read some more. Search the pinned What Are You Wearing Thread at the top of the page. Invest time into the forum, and learn to develop your own taste. If you want someone to tell you how to dress right away, buy one of those "Style Manuals" GQ or Mens Health promotes on their websites. You'll have no style but you hopefully won't be dressed shoddily.

Invest time into SF, accept that this process won't be all sucessful if you make lots of blind jumps without doing research or investing time into the forum.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
See below?
smile.gif
That might be your best option, especially considering the few comments.

So much depends on what you currently have and how bad it is. Likely priority items that you'll get full value from (and not outgrow prematurely) are pants, shoes, a belt or two, socks, and maybe a watch.

For only $40 you could be on your way to this:
articles_splash.jpg

dk123

Reaction score
Does no ties mean no sportcoats either? It seems like a good navy blazer/sportcoat would be a good possibility for that first $500.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or he could pay much more and look silly. Or he could do nothing, as aided by wise-crack comments, and continue to be unhappy. As if, unlike on Style Forum sometimes, people are told to adopt a look they won't like. Sheesh.

The problem with buying a jacket now is that he's likely to outgrow it. If he has a decent one (maybe one that can be improved by tailoring) or doesn't need a jacket, then it shouldn't be a priority.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the shoes first in order to avoid looking like the guy two posts up

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
The problem with buying a jacket now is that he's likely to outgrow it. If he has a decent one (maybe one that can be improved by tailoring) or doesn't need a jacket, then it shouldn't be a priority.
I agree with this. Focusing on items that he is least likely to outgrow and will last a good while should be the focus now. Good shoes are a great start along with some nice ties which can usually be had for very nice prices. Several high quality belts to go along with the shoes would be handy as well. A decent watch (not too high end, perhaps Seiko Spirit) would be a sound investment. Things like shirts, pants, suits, jackets, coats will all be affected by his weight gain goals, however are not completely out of the picture. Good luck.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Guys, thanks so much for your responses!

Yeah, I better stay away from a jacket right now.

Here's what I have right now. Please don't laugh.

1 Pair Lucky Jeans - they get compliments because people are shocked that there's a pair of jeans out there that actually fit me well.

2 Pair tan khaki pants, pleated fronts, 1.5" cuffs

1 Pair Born slip-on brown shoes (both of which the rubber sole has cracked all the way through)

1 Pair shiny black shoes that are kinda worn - Kenneth Cole Reactions

1 Columbia jacket

1 Slightly worn out brown belt

Several cheap white undershirts

Here's what I don't have:

Black slacks
Sharp looking shirts (nice casual, business casual, business formal)
A classy winter coat, and all stay-warm accessories
non-black dress shoes
A watch
Socks
Suit Jacket/Blazer (don't necessarily need right now)

I know, it's dismal. Any direction on specific items and help prioritizing are VERY much appreciated.

-Evan

Kaizen

Reaction score
If I was in your situation, this is what I'd do:

Look for two pairs of decent shoes. I'd suggest looking for Allen Edmonds on eBay, or at their factory outlet (I don't have the contact info for them, but you should be able to find it with a search of the forums). I'd go with a medium brown leather and medium/dark brown suede, both with leather soles. They should go well with jeans, khakis, and your (future) dressier pants. With any money left over, I'd pick up a belt or two that are close to the same color as the shoes and maybe a few pairs of socks. Be sure to pick up some shoe trees, to keep them in good shape. Also, alternate wearing them, so they last longer. That should take care of your $500. It may not seem like you're improving a visibly large percentage of your wardrobe, but you'd be building a good foundation.

When you can spend $1000, look for a few pairs of pants and some fitted shirts. Check some of the affiliate links above (Shop The Finest, Virtual Clothes Horse, eHaberdasher) for good deals there. If you keep looking at the "What are you wearing" threads, you should get a good idea of brands to look for that also appeal to you. Save a little bit of that money to take the pants and shirts to a good tailor, to get them to fit you well.

After that (when you can spend $3-5k), I'd say to pick up more shirts (maybe going MTM), another pair or two of shoes, a couple more pairs of pants, a navy blazer/sports coat, some ties, and a charcoal suit. With a bit of research, you can probably get all that and have enough money left over for a decent overcoat and a nice watch. Just make sure you leave enough money from your budget to get them altered to fit. That will make a huge difference in your look. If you stick around here, you should have a good idea of what brands/styles fit your taste and budget.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
at 6'6" your cuffs should be at least 1 3/4 " or 2".
with broad shoulders, if you buy a suit or sport coat it will need to be taken in.
have the tailor leave extra fabric inside. when you gain weight that cloth can be let back out.
forget the black slacks unless the new job is bussing tables or cleaning restrooms.
use your cell phone to check time. concentrate on the wardrobe first, watch later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads