• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniqlo vintage regular fit Chino - how to wear?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't wear chinos, but just roll up the bottom a bit, throw on a white T and some plain Vans style sneakers to keep it casual.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I don't wear chinos, but just roll up the bottom a bit, throw on a white T and some plain Vans style sneakers to keep it casual.
Haha - and of course I can't blame you for writing that - but my post originally said "how can I wear them apart from with a white t-shirt and sneakers" (actually I put trainers because I'm British) because that's just about the only way I have ever worn them. And I was looking for idea about something a little different, perhaps even vaguely classic, that could be done with them. Was wondering about army boots for example, as vintage chinos are obviously military inspired. Or polos (I know polos and chinos is a very overdone look, but that usually revolves around more tailored, office-type chinos, right?)
Particularly any pictures of guys wearing vintage type chinos as part of some sort of high/low ensemble or smart/casual look would be appreciated. If they exist !

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the ivy look, so chinos, penny loafers, OCBD, sweater. Or even a tweed sport coat.

I also like a workwear look with a chambray or denim shirt, chore coat, boots.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
For example here's me wearing a pair with a white button down shirt, cream cardigan and brown chukka boots, which I don't really know if it works specifically but it's an example of what I'm thinking of (and I like the colour combo).

PXL_20230125_132425671.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Substitute brown Clarks(or keep the chukkas), the chinos and a blue sweater.....

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the ivy look, so chinos, penny loafers, OCBD, sweater. Or even a tweed sport coat.

I also like a workwear look with a chambray or denim shirt, chore coat, boots.
Yes , this sort of thing. But would that kind of look work with the more casual, vintage chinos I'm talking about, or does it call for the smarter, more slim and tailored variety?

Edit: for example - tried it with a sports jacket and top half feels too formal. Right? Though this look.would feel fine to me with more tailored chinos, probably.

PXL_20230125_133203524.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes , this sort of thing. But would that kind of look work with the more casual, vintage chinos I'm talking about, or does it call for the smarter, more slim and tailored variety?

Certainly the workwear fit I mentioned makes sense with casual chinos.

here’s a fit I posted a while back that I think works. These are definitely not smarter chinos (they’re orSlow army chinos). This may or may not be something you like but at least gives you an idea.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score

here’s a fit I posted a while back that I think works. These are definitely not smarter chinos (they’re orSlow army chinos). This may or may not be something you like but at least gives you an idea.

(Just edited in a sports jacket pic to my reply to your previous post, in case you missed it).

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Substitute brown Clarks(or keep the chukkas), the chinos and a blue sweater.....
By Clarks I assume you mean desert boots, so ... Something like this? PXL_20230125_133855490.jpg

Although (and again this isn't your fault as I didn't mention it) I'm specifically looking for cooler weather combos and I wouldn't wear desert boots here in the winter, so I would actually keep the chukkas!).

Actually I think I prefer this style with this slightly looser fitting burgundy sweater, though.

PXL_20230125_134317787.jpg

Mr Tickle

Reaction score

Your outfit here looks great, really good example of the thing I'm going for! Don't have a denim shirt in that hue though. And I'm not sure I have a jacket and chinos that I can pull off that level of similarity in colour without it looking too similar.
Hang on...

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
try it with a denim shirt instead and it would look better.

No denim shirt in a light shade like yours, so I've gone with a light blue button down.

Here's my much less masterful attempt at a similar look to yours ...as I feared I don't think I have quite the right hue of Chino to match my light brown jacket and pull it off. Maybe the beige vaguely works? Apologies for the crumpled nature of some of the items here as I had to grab them out of the laundry.

Anyway I've got some better ideas already now, thanks to this thread,so thanks all!

PXL_20230125_140226422.jpg PXL_20230125_135806717.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for a "workwear" styled chino I'd personally go with a wider leg.

Do you have more textured/bulkier knitwear (besides the shawl collar)? Overshirts or chore jackets?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics