• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniqlo Selvedge Denim!

benchan

Reaction score
the slim fit one has 2% stretch, so it's not everyone taste......HK shop just can't move those selvage denim

tundrafour

Reaction score
I agree with kiya, actually. They really do feel very lightweight. I walked around a Uniqlo holding a pair and wound up putting them back on the shelf. There's nothing wrong with them per se but I could not envision a situation in which I would want to wear them instead of my RRLs, 5EPs, APCs, etc.

allan1

Reaction score
You shouldn't be comparing some japanese denim brands, APC, Nudie, Acne etc with Uniqlo.
Uniqlo jeans fabric is, I'm afraid to say, very bad,,. It's shame that other products are pretty good for its price tag (like, polo, t-shirt, fleece, etc). They should've used decent fabrics.

At the moment, I would not go near them,,. for selvadge jeans, of course
smile.gif

(otherwise, they are ok, aren't they?)

yamazs

Reaction score
... they are priced at a third to a fifth the price of apc, 5ep, kmw... for any person new to the denim game, if they are even a third as good in quality/fadez as apc's they are worth the buy ... which they are...

keikun13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yamazs
... they are priced at a third to a fifth the price of apc, 5ep, kmw... for any person new to the denim game, if they are even a third as good in quality/fadez as apc's they are worth the buy ... which they are...

True but why not just bite the bullet and spend the extra cash in a decent pair? You can find a pair of like-new APCs here or on eBay for under $100 easily. I actually had high hopes for Uniqlo selvedge, but honestly, when I went to the NYC store to try some on, I was underwhelmed. They just felt really cheap. If you want cheap and raw, I would just go for a pair of raw Levi's. I still wear mine
laugh.gif

tundrafour

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yamazs

I didn't mean that they're not worth it, simply that if you already own any other jeans that you feel to be of decent quality, these probably wouldn't get much use.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not just money you spend on raw jeans though... It's time too. I do not think I'd lament a $150 jeans mistake (except that you should just buy on sale, and could sell if you don't like it to recoup some of the price) nearly as much as I would lament spending 6 months wearing a pair of raw jeans, washing them, and getting mediocre fades... Or to wear the jeans for 3 months and getting tears or having other issues.

I have no experience with Uniqlo... But I feel like there are 3 types of people who might buy raw denim...

1. People who are interested in getting into it as a hobby.
2. People who already are into raw denim and love it.
3. People who know about raw denim, might want a pair, but don't intend to actually turn it into a hobby.

I'd imagine that unless you're in that third category, you'd want to buy something else. If you're interested in getting into it, it's probably a good idea to get a decent pair that you won't throw away when you're done with them. I'm fairly new to the game I suppose (my first pair, nudies, on 6 months) but I know that right now I'm coming up to the point where my first wash is right around the corner and even though I've got some nice fades coming in, I'm still somewhat worried about my first wash and have even made the decision to put it off for another few weeks because I know I'll be super disappointed if they don't look exactly how I'm envisioning them after a wash. I can imagine myself being QUITE annoyed if I was at this same point in time and didn't seem to have good fading at all!

I dunno, something tells me that these jeans are more for people who aren't wearing jeans every day (like, work requires otherwise) but want to wear raws on the weekends or something, or just to have a pair of raw jeans in their rotation. If you want to actually do the whole 6 months thing, get APC or Nudie or something

boo

Reaction score
Is it me or does the indigo on the Uniqlo denim bleed like crazy?

Originally Posted by Listi
I dunno, something tells me that these jeans are more for people who aren't wearing jeans every day (like, work requires otherwise) but want to wear raws on the weekends or something, or just to have a pair of raw jeans in their rotation. If you want to actually do the whole 6 months thing, get APC or Nudie or something

And this is exactly why I got uniqlo for my latest pair. I've always wanted jeans with the perfect fade, but I'm finding that weekend wear doesn't cut it. And If I were to do any sort of activity that would accelerate wear, I wouldn't want to leave them unwashed.

krylon80

Reaction score
I want to buy a pair of regular fit japan selvage denim (the ones for $80).

When buying a pair of APCs in the past i was able to find numerous purchasing guidelines (size down two, much stretching, sanforized and won't shrink up much with hot soak, etc.).

Can someone give me some similar tips for the Uniqlo jeans i mentioned above.

I need to know by Friday.

-TIA!

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow what a bump. This was like a year ago I guess I'll post a progress pic one of these days.

Anyway Uniqlo denim stretches quite a bit in the waist but I don't think that means you should size down a lot.

Ok i'll give you a more detailed rundown later when I'm not busy.

krylon80

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Wow what a bump. This was like a year ago I guess I'll post a progress pic one of these days. Anyway Uniqlo denim stretches quite a bit in the waist but I don't think that means you should size down a lot. Ok i'll give you a more detailed rundown later when I'm not busy.
much appreciated. i look forward to it. bonus points for the lemmywinks reference. would you size down as much as APC (2 sizes)? thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads