• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniqlo -- back in Manhattan?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This morning, the back page of one of the subway papers, perhaps AM New York, had a full page ad for Uniqlo touting their new store at 76 Greene St., in Soho.

I think this was where the holiday store was late last year.

The Uniqlo website says it opens Autumn 06, but the ad suggests it is open already.

Has anyone been there?

amblus

Reaction score
was just there the other day. i think it's been open for awhile.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
HHHHhmmmmmmmm... I suprised that more haven't opened through out the country yet. There's now officially a total of four stores in the united states. Could we be seeing more in the future.

Reaction score
It might be only until the end of June, although closing in June and them reopening a few months later would be strange. They probably just want to make a big deal about making it permanent for the upcoming Christmas shopping season. Here's the press release off the website:

January 24, 2006 NEW YORK and TOKYO-Due to the overwhelming success of its first full-sized store in New York City, UNIQLO, Japan's most popular apparel retailer and a worldwide leader in casual wear, today announced that it will keep its SoHo store open through June. Not only will New York shoppers continue to have easy access to UNIQLO's winter line of high-quality, low-cost fashion forward basics, but they will also get to experience its colorful and versatile spring/summer line.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went there today. In the fall they are moving to a three-level store on Broadway. The stock will be much better they say. They were actually apologizing for the limited offerings in the current store. In the jeans department, they have something like the great raw type that J brought back from Japan, and a few other types, but...yeah, limited. None of those nice cotton linen ones, for ex. One current virtue is the wide selection of socks and solid color t shirts in a big rainbow of colors.

Hope the full line in the big store is a little jazzier.

I suspect that once they figure out what US buyers really want, they will roll out the stores more.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
Yeah the spring line is a little brighter than what i'm used to. I will check out the new store when it opens, that's for sure.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Went there today. In the fall they are moving to a three-level store on Broadway. The stock will be much better they say. They were actually apologizing for the limited offerings in the current store. In the jeans department, they have something like the great raw type that J brought back from Japan, and a few other types, but...yeah, limited. None of those nice cotton linen ones, for ex. One current virtue is the wide selection of socks and solid color t shirts in a big rainbow of colors.

Hope the full line in the big store is a little jazzier.

I suspect that once they figure out what US buyers really want, they will roll out the stores more.

Do you know which ones are dry and which are selvedge? I asked the guy working there and he looked at me like I was from Mars.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
They really don't have raw denim, it's more of a one wash type and it's not hard to tell which is which. The selvage is washed and about half way down the jeans rack. It also says it on the tag. The one wash or raw, ar at the far left of the shelf, they are a lot lighter than the selvage also.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What they NEED to do is open an f'ing store in Seattle...

I need some cheap ass decent jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads